Crime & Punishment of 2014-01-14

Murderer of Stanbic worker confesses to committing crime alone

The 25-year-old auto-electrician held in connection with the murder of Rosemond Nyampong at her residence has confessed to committing the horrific crime alone.

Abraham Oyotey Baah admitted to the crime yesterday at the Tema Development Corporation (TDC) Magistrate Court presided over by Mr. Isaac Adjei.

According to information gathered by the Daily Guide, Abraham explained during the trial which was held in camera that he entered the victim's home and pushed Rosemond, 32, who knew him as a neighbour, to the ground, which led to a struggle.

He narrated that he managed to overpower Rosemond and gagged her mouth with a piece of cloth to prevent her from screaming to attract other neighbours.

Abraham earlier claimed he was contracted by a woman, who gave him Rosemond's photograph to kill her, but had since failed to disclose the identity of the said woman.

Chief Inspector Sylvia Okain who held brief for Chief Inspector Cecelia Mensah, the prosecutor handling the case, prayed the court to remand Abraham so the Attorney General's Department would have ample time to give its advice on the docket.

The presiding judge, without wasting much time, ordered that the suspect be remanded in prison instead of police custody, until February,2013.

Sampson Nyampong, a relative of Rosemond, told Daily Guide in an interview that he was not pleased with the security arrangement concerning the suspect, Abraham, saying, "His accomplice could come and kill him to end the trial if proper security is not given."

He disbelieved Abraham's recent claim that he acted alone.

"He has noticed he is going down so he wants to go down alone to save his accomplices. The autopsy report revealed that Rosemond was strangled to death," he asserted.

According to him, Abraham could not have strangled his relation alone because she was a strong girl.

"Due to the nature of the killing, coupled with her structure and strength, I know my daughter who has been going to the gym to exercise, I don't think this guy can strangle her to death alone," he said.

It would be recalled that pretty Rosemond was found dead on November 21, 2013, in the kitchen at her residence at Baatsona.

Obviously dressed for work before the fatal attack, she was found with her mouth gagged with a piece of cloth with signs of a struggle having ensued, which led her colleagues and family members to make a report to the police after frantic efforts which led to the discovery of the lifeless body in a decomposed state.

Police investigations led to the arrest of Abraham at Odumase Krobo in the Eastern Region where he had sent the victim's Toyota Yaris saloon car with registration number GT 5133-10 to a washing bay.

Police investigations led to the discovery of some properties such as a home theatre system, plasma television and mobile phones belonging to Rosemond in the room of Abraham.

He later led police on a wild goose chase to his so-called accomplices.

Rosemond was buried on December 14,2013 beside her father, who had died some six months earlier, at the Osu Cemetery in Accra.

Source: Daily Guide
« Previous | Next »
View Comments
News Categories
Site Menu