Business News of 2014-01-15

‘Stop rice importation’

Bernard Monarh, General Secretary of the People’s National Convention (PNC), says government must permanently ban the importation of rice into the country since the practice thwarts the efforts of local rice farmers.

He disclosed this while speaking at this year’s International Youth Network Summit held in Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region.

Recounting the ordeal local rice farmers go through in their quest to sell their produce, Monarh advised government to consider investing in the country’s local rice industry to salvage it from total collapse.

Available statistics indicate that for more than a decade, the local rice industry has been able to meet 30 percent of local demand, with the remaining 70 percent going to foreign rice importers.

According to Monarh, the country loses about US$480 million annually as a result of the importation of rice.

He urged government to focus on the country’s rice growing areas and assist farmers there to produce enough to feed the country.

He said the northern part of the country, particularly the Upper East region, has large tract of fertile farmlands that could be cultivated to produce rice and other cereals.

Mr. Monarh said if government supports the majority of the farmers, especially the youth, in rice farming many jobs would be created in the country.

Source: Daily Guide
« Previous | Next »
View Comments
Sponsor Links
News Categories
Site Menu