Entertainment of 2014-03-03

Konvict deal would have restricted me creatively - Sarkodie

When Akon was in Ghana for the first time some years ago, news went viral that he had signed Sarkodie after he left the shores of the country.
There were many videos out there which saw Konvict Muzik manager and Sarkodie in talks so we all thought that was the deal until Akon cleared the air on that issue last year when he was is Ghana for the second time for the Guinness Big Eruption Concert.
According to the Konvict Muzik boss, Sarkodie was not signed on his record label. Sarkodie has now explained why the deal wasn’t able to go through and it’s reported by one media house.
On Sunday evening’s episode of ‘Hanging With KOD’, Sarkodie gave more details on his deal with Akon’s Konvict Music which couldn’t pull through. Although without giving specifics, it was clear that Sarkodie wasn’t sure that Konvict had a plan for him. He said the deal was more about dwelling on the status of Akon to assure him of ‘making it internationally’ rather than having a clear-cut plan.
According to Sarkodie, he was born a leader, and wanted to be responsible for the direction of his career. He advised his fellow artists not to get carried away by the hype, explaining that the Konvict deal would have restricted him creatively and held back his fan base and ‘movement’ which was growing rapidly because the label could say he shouldn’t release any music in two years.
‘I had to be loyal to the movement’, he said. He also talked about having a meeting with Jay-Z’s Roc Nation hinting that, that meeting was more of the kind he wanted because it came as a result of them seeing his fan base, twitter following, YouTube views and more; and the Roc Nation respected him for that.
Source: Olivia Obibiniba
« Previous | Next »
View Comments
Sponsor Links
News Categories
Site Menu