Crime & Punishment of 2014-03-12

Police arrest four suspects over shooting of Gomoa chief

Four persons, including a chief, have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the shooting of the Mankrado (a sub-chief) of Gomoa Fetteh Kakraba in the Central Region, Nana Kwame Okyere Mpamtu.

They were arrested at different locations after they had fled the town, near Buduburam, following the shooting of the chief at 6: 30 p.m. on February 27, 2014.

Nana Mpamtu died after receiving eight gun shots.

More names come up

The police gave the names of the four suspects as Nana Kofi Baah II, 47, alias Maapa; Akwasi Boadu, 34, alias Ninja; Abiodu Ibrahim, 33, alias Rough Ride, and Jaba Barno, 20, alias Atsuvi.

The Head of the Homicide Unit at the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mr William Sedoame, told the Daily Graphic that two of the suspects were arrested at Buduburam, one at Fetteh Kakraba and another at James Town in Accra.

“Other names have come up. Those people are on the run and we are still looking for them,” he said.

Assailant on motorbike

Mr Sedoame stated that Nana Mpamtu received eight rounds of pump action gunshots from an unknown person who arrived on a motorbike at a site where the chief was putting up a building and fired at him.

Nana Mpamtu, who doubled as the Krontsihen of Fetteh Kakraba, was said to have been shot by the pillion rider who pulled out a pump action gun from a “Ghana- must-go” bag.

It is reported that when the assailant fired the first shot, it hit another man who was then having a conversation with the chief, in the presence of the chief’s wife.

The chief, Mr Sedoame said, then attempted to flee but the assailant followed him and fired eight rounds of bullets into his body.

The chief’s friend was quickly rushed to a nearby clinic, while the chief was sent to the Winneba Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Land Dispute

Family members of the late chief suspect the murder of the chief could be attributed to a land litigation.

Eyewitnesses told the police that they could not identify the assailant, since he had covered his face with a helmet.

« Previous | Next »
View Comments
News Categories
Site Menu