General News of 2014-03-28

My life is under threat – Apraku cries out

Dr. Kofi Konadu Apraku, a former minister of state, has raised an alarm over the continued raid of his private residence at Tanoso, a suburb of Kumasi, by armed robbers.
According to him, he has survived three robbery attacks, after he had commented on the New Patriotic Party (NPP) flagbearership contest and believes the incidents cannot be a mere coincidence.
The NPP presidential hopeful, who was speaking in an interview with The Chronicle, said he suspects the orchestrated threats on his life, even though he stopped short of giving any further details.
According to him, few weeks after delivering a statement in Kumasi, during the official inauguration of TESCONA, an umbrella body of old TESCON members, late last year, during which he launched a blistering attack on the two time presidential candidate, Nana Akufo-Addo, robbers have invaded his house on two occasions, but luckily for him, on both occasions, they missed him, because he was outside Kumasi.
According to him, after delivering the lecture on December 27, last year, his house came under two attacks on January 2nd and 20th, 2014, compelling him to hire two macho men to man the house. He, however, said on all occasions, the assailants took nothing from the apartment, a situation which baffles him.
The former NEPAD and Regional Integration Minister in the erstwhile President Kufuor’s administration, said even though he initially treated the two incidents as mere robbery attacks without reading any meaning into them, another deadly strike at his house three days ago has left him thinking all over again. He said in the latest attack, which had his Security Officer critically wounded, the assailants inflicted several wounds on him, after destroying items in the house, including security lights.
Dr. Apraku said he was in Accra when he received a call from his Special Aide, Atta Agyapong, on Sunday March 22nd, that some armed robbers had once again invaded the house and attacked his security man, beating him mercilessly. He said the victim is currently receiving medical care at the Mankraso Government Hospital.
The worried former Minister, who has subtly declared his intention to contest for the flagbearership slot of the opposition party, when nominations open, said he had made a formal report to the police and was counting on the security agencies to unravel the faces behind the serial attacks.
The former MP for Offinso North said though he would not point fingers at any individual for the mysterious attacks, he believes it is no coincidence and suspects foul play.
Source: The Chronicle
« Previous | Next »
View Comments
Sponsor Links
News Categories
Site Menu