General News of 2014-05-05

Woyome opens defence today

Businessman Alfred Woyome will later Monday open his defence at the Economic and Financial Division of the Accra High Court in the ongoing GHc51.2 million judgment debt trial.

The court, presided over by Justice John Ajet-Nassam, last week threw out a submission of 'no case’ filed by his lawyers, paving the way for him to speak to the allegations against him.

After his 'no case' application was thrown out, Woyome told the media the hearing would provide him an opportunity to tell the public what actually happened with regards to the judgment debt.

"I think this opportunity which has come today will give me a courtroom opportunity to be able to tell the good people of this country about what happened from the beginning," he said.

His lawyer, Musah Ahmed, last week told Joy News they are ready to challenge any evidence the state will raise against his client.

The embattled National Democratic Congress (NDC) financier is facing charges of defrauding by false pretences and causing financial loss to the state in the trial that has been going on for more than two years.

According to the prosecution, Woyome made a false representation in February 2010 that the government owed him money for his services of providing financial engineering for the rehabilitation of the Kumasi, Accra and El-Wak stadia, ahead of the 2008 African Cup of Nations.

The submission of 'no case' was announced in court February by Mr. Osafo Boabeng, lead counsel for Woyome, immediately after the prosecution, led by Mathew Amponsah, had informed the court that the prosecution bad closed its case.

Source: myjoyonline
« Previous | Next »
View Comments
Sponsor Links
News Categories
Site Menu