Business News of 2014-05-15

Metro Mass to double fleet, improve safety

Metro Mass Transit Limited (MMT) is set to purchase 1,000 buses in a bid to double its fleet across the country.
The 1,000 buses will be in addition to some 200 buses government has promised to give to the company. The move, which is part of a five-year plan that was launched Wednesday by the public transport company, is also aimed at expanding its operations in rural areas.
Speaking at the launch of the five-year plan, Managing Director, John Noble Appiah, said the strategies will also improve the safety of passengers.
"Safety is a priority. So we are reviewing our systems, our procedures our courses and training to ensure that every member of staff takes safety as a culture", Mr Appiah added.
Furthermore, MMT will soon commission new tracking systems and ICT-based fuelling systems to monitor the operations and fuelling of the vehicles across the country. The ICT-based fuelling systems had become necessary because large sums of money were spent on fuel according to the company.
The new system is expected to enable management of the company monitor all fuelling activities from its offices, while the tracking system would assist to monitor the movement of the vehicles. MMT currently travels to all ten regions of the country from Accra and other regional capitals.
MMT was established in October 2003, with the Government of Ghana having 45%, the remaining 55% being held by private investors. MMT is a private–public initiative that aims to operate an effective and affordable transport system for the public.
Currently, National Investment Bank, State Insurance Company, Agricultural Development Bank, SNITT, GOIL and Prudential Bank are the private shareholders.