General News of 2014-06-27

Black Stars team, Management must be disbanded - Pratt

Managing Editor of the Insight newspaper, Kwesi Pratt Junior, wants the current Senior National Football team and its entire management disbanded and new players recruited to form the nexus of the new Black Stars team.

Kwesi Pratt Junior says a new set of players who will play and ‘die for the country’ should come on board to change the norm of ‘playing for money’.

His comment comes on the back of the Black Stars' dismal performance at the on-going 2014 World Cup in Brazil where the team suffered an embarrassing first round elimination.

The shining star and pride of Africa at the 2010 mundial dimmed at this year's tournament after various issues cropped up, not excluding player indiscipline, appearance fees brouhaha and generally poor organisation.

Matters got worse in the camp of the Blacks Stars in Brasilia when Sulley Muntari slapped a GFA official, Mr. Moses Armah.

The altercation started after the players insisted that their appearance fees are paid to them before they engage Portugal in the crucial decider for qualification.

Government, on Tuesday, succumbed to pressure from the players when it okayed $100,000 as appearance fees to each of the 23 players at the World Cup, although they had earlier accepted a $75,000 proposal.

$3 million was therefore airlifted to the camp of the Black Stars to calm nerves.

Kevin Prince Boateng was also said to have attacked Coach Kwesi Appiah verbally during their training session.

The two, Muntari and Kevin, were subsequently suspended indefinitely from the team.

Kwesi Pratt, speaking to these issues on PeaceFM, bemoaned the indiscipline within the team and indicated that the team must be disbanded.

He said on Kokrokoo that the players more often benefit from such games even more than the country and so they must be more willing to play with their hearts instead of always demanding for money before they play.

“At all cost, this team must be disbanded...we should start training younger people. Since 2006, we have not developed new players and I don’t understand…but I will put the blame at the doorsteps of the GFA…"

Demanding accountability from the officials, the seasoned journalist called for thorough investigations into preparations for the competition before, during and after, to determine how much was spent.

“Accountability is very important, so the officials will tell the country to the last pesewa the amount of money they spent for the tournament”.

"We cannot sit by and let such a huge amount go to waste without rendering accounts. We will insist that they give account of every pesewa they spent for the World Cup. Such an amount being spent without they not bringing even a wooden world cup to show for their efforts cannot be," he added.

Kwesi Pratt however commended Ghana’s top striker Asamoah Gyan and Midfielder, Dede Ayew for their ‘outstanding’ performance at the World Cup. To him, they were ‘a shining example’ to the rest of the team.