General News Fri, 27 Oct 2017

Click to read all about coronavirus →

Afoko Trial: Fourth prosecution witness testifies

The prosecution in the case involving Gregory Afoko, who has been accused of the murder of former Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party, on Thursday presented its fourth witness.

The witness, Mutala Taufic, told the court that, he is a building contractor and together with the deceased, Mr Mahama lived in Bolga, and that, they had been very good friends for the past 20 years, as well as members of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

He said he had also known the accused person, Gregory for the past 25 years in Bolga, a man who had dreadlocks (rastaman) and was a member of the NPP as well.

When asked where he was on May 25, 2015, Mr Tuafic told the court that he was at home in the morning, but visited the deceased at a site where he (Mahama) was constructing a house close to the Ex-Tee Hotel on the Bolga-Tamale road.

He said he met the deceased, Mr Mahama at the site and they stayed there till about 1800 hours even after the workers had left.

Mr Taufic said on that night, although there was no light in the area, the deceased had to meet some NPP youth from Bawku at the Ex-Tee Hotel so they went there together. The meeting ended at about 2230 hours.

He told the court that Mr Mahama told him he would be meeting some party executives the next day so he should call to remind him, after which he left with one Zakaria on a motorbike, whilst Mr Mahama left in his pick-up.

According to the witness on their way, when they got to the junction leading to Mr Mahama’s house, they parted ways and he went home.

Mr Taufic said he was home when Mr Mahama’s wife called to inform him that a substance had been poured on her husband and that they were on their way to the Bolga Hospital.

“When I got there I saw the deceased lying on the bed in pain and wailing. He was also lying half naked with a piece of cloth covering his private part,” he said.

He said he saw Mr Mahama’s wife, and two others, Zuriah Issaka and Asigiri Quinn at the emergency ward.

He said: “when he realized my presence he asked me to get closer to his bed. He held my hand and whispered into my ears that he knew he was going to die so I should take care of his family and that Gregory and one Asabke were the ones who poured the substance on him”.

The case has been adjourned to October 30, 31 and November 1.

Source: Prime News Ghana

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter

Related Articles: