General News of Wed, 1 Mar 201735
Be humble and come for advice to fix Dumsor – Koku tells government
Deputy General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has called on the Akufo-Addo led government to be humble and reach out to them to fix the power crisis that has plagued the country.
According to Koku Anyidoho, the current frustrations by Ghanaians will last longer than anticipated if government does not step up its game.
“We need Akufo Addo and his government to fix the power crisis because businesses are collapsing and Ghanaians are suffering and we can’t afford to destroy our nation with this dumsor issue.
They should be humble and come for advice because we are willing to help” he said on Accra based Neat fm.
Several parts of Accra and other parts of the country have in recent weeks experienced severe power cuts triggering fears that the power crisis that bedeviled the country some years ago is gradually returning.
On Wednesday, the entire Kumasi Metropolis in the Ashanti region was in darkness for several hours. No explanation has been given for the power cuts by authorities.
The current outages come after promises by the previous Mahama-led administration that the power crisis popularly known as dumsor had been fixed.
But Koku Anyidoho said since the erratic power situation was solved totally by the previous government it is no excuse for Ghanaians to be experiencing it under the new government.
He indicated also that government is facing this energy challenge because it has sacked people indiscriminately from their post and therefore people are not prepared to commit themselves.
“When you have the dangerous logic of Bugri Naabu which results in sacking people from their post because your government is in power then that is the cause.
“People are not prepared to commit themselves and because you are not involving people then you will continue to suffer. They can afford to blame us but discerning Ghanaians will decide if this should continue or not,” he maintained.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Energy, Boakye Agyarko assured that the situation will normalize by end of Saturday, February 25, 2017, but it turned out to be false.
The Energy Ministry subsequently issued a statement extending the deadline to Monday, February 27, 2017.
“We wish to state that with the tie-in operation successfully completed, and coupled with the measures we put in place including procurement of fuel and increased power supply from La Cote d’Ivoire, the [power] situation will normalize from 27th February 2017,” a statement signed by the Communications Officer at the Energy Ministry, King A. Wellington, added.
Click on attached audio for more