General News of Fri, 27 Jul 20181

Final year SHS students excluded from double tracking system – Dep. Minister

Final year students have been excluded from the double track system scheduled to be introduced at second cycle schools in the next academic year, Deputy Education Minister has said.

According to Dr Yaw Osie Adutwum, those already in Form Three will continue with the existing trimester programme while those in the first and second years will be the ones placed on the semester schedule.

“They [final year students] will still do their trimester so that it doesn’t affect them negatively in terms of the WASSCE…The semester only begins with the Form Two and then the Form Ones,” Osei Adutwum told Super Morning Show host, Daniel Dadzie, Friday.

Most parents are anxious about the newly adopted semester system which will see students scheduled on two different tracks, to boost enrollment under its flagship free SHS education programme. So while one track is in school, the other is on vacation.

Dr. Osei Adutwum explained the decision had become necessary as a result of the “difficult” time government went through with congestion when it implemented the free SHS programme last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher recruitment

The Deputy Minister also stated that the Ministry will take advantage of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) programme to recruit persons with a degree in Bachelor of Education into the schools.

The recruitment, he announced, will begin sometime next week.

This will however, be on targeted scheduling, he said explaining those to be recruited will only be the ones whose services will be needed at specific schools.

“We want the recruitment to be targeted at the schools…so the recruitment is linked up to the time table that the schools are going to be doing,” he said.

Comments (1)

Related Articles:

Today's News