Government clarifies decision to sack NYA boss and deputies
A Deputy Director of Communications at the Office of the President, Fati Abubakar, has clarified government’s decision to sack the Chief Executive Officer of the National Youth Authority and his two deputies.
According to Fati, a prima facie was established before the decision was taken to terminate the appointments of the NYA officials.
“…With specific reference to this National Youth Authority issue, it was established that there was a procurement breach,” she said on Breakfast Daily on Citi TV.
CEO of the NYA Emmanuel Sin-Nyet Asigri, and his two deputies; Richard Obeng and Bright Acheampong, were sacked by the President on Tuesday following their alleged involvement in some questionable procurement practices at the Authority.
While speaking on the Breakfast Daily show on Wednesday, Fati Abubakar, justified the government’s action saying that the decision was taken pending a final report on the matter.
“There is a difference between establishing a prima facie and going through the actual process and coming with a conclusion. So the issue is, there is a procurement breach and as to the nature and extent of the breach and if it can be rectified or not, we have to leave it to the technocrats to advise the government on the next move."
"Until then it will be difficult to give conclusive information when you know that, the technocrats have not come up with a report. But, the right thing to do is to ask the people who are at the helm of affairs of the places we are alleging those breaches to step aside while the investigations are ongoing and then we can be properly advised”, she noted.
She also indicated that the dismissal of the trio is to showcase the government’s strong disapproval of acts of corruption and also to ensure that other public officials do not engage in similar activities.
“We want to encourage the kind of culture that when there is a breach, we all do the right which is our civic responsibility by bringing it to the attention of the authorities that matter."
"This is the kind of culture that President Akufo-Addo encouraged. Since we came into office, he has invested in his anti-corruption campaign and for that matter when there is an issue at all, it is proper that action is taken.”
In three separate letters sent to the individuals, they are all to hand over to Mr. Emmanuel Anaman-Mensah, Director of Technical projects at the NYA.
There are also media reports that the Public Procurement Authority had been asked to investigate the allegations made against Asigri.
I had no hand in alleged procurement violations – Sacked Deputy NYA CEO
Meanwhile, Richard Rocky Joojo Obeng, one of the acting Deputy Chief Executive Officers says he had no hand in the alleged procurement violations at the Authority.
In a letter, Mr. Obeng who was grateful for the opportunity to serve the country as Deputy CEO insisted that his hands are clean.
“I wish to thank President Akufo-Addo for giving me the opportunity to serve the youth of our country. For the sake of the record, I wish to state that I have no hand in the recently reported procurement violations at NYA,” he said in the statement.