I’m still at post – Dismissed UEW Principal insists
The Principal of the Colleges of Languages at the University of Education Winneba (UEW), Professor Ephraim Avea Nsoh says he is still at post, despite reports of his dismissal.
The University Council dismissed three principal staff of the school last week, including Prof. Avea Nsoh, sparking fresh protests by students on campus.
Speaking on Citi FM/Citi TV‘s News Analysis Programme, The Big Issue, Mr. Avea Nsoh, however, insisted he is still a principal at the school, given that he had not received a letter indicating his dismissal.
“As far as I am concerned, I still remain the Principal of the Colleges of Language. I have not received any letter but I suspect it will come. My students understand I am still the principal. I know by law that I am still the Principal.”
There has been ensuing chaos at the UEW campus owing to what has been described as a leadership crisis.
There have been calls for the Vice Chancellor of the school, Prof. Afful Broni to resign.
The demand is also accompanied by calls for lecturers and other staff who have been sacked to be immediately reinstated.
The situation has led to series of protests by students, including a violent one on Thursday that resulted in the destruction of several school properties, forcing the police to fire tear gas to disperse the angry student protesters who were at the time pelting stones at the security officers.
The meeting, according to the education ministry was to address the situation that was threatening the peace at UEW.
The Ministry said the differences of the stakeholders were addressed at the meeting “with an agreement to collaborate in addressing issues that affect stakeholders directly and indirectly.”
The Education Minister, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh following the meeting expressed hope that the new found understanding “will serve as a bedrock for peaceful deliberations and relations henceforth and that peace in the university will be prioritized in all their dealings.”
Meanwhile the University of Education, Winneba remains closed, as students were directed to vacate the campus on Thursday.
The Central Regional Minister, Kwamina Duncan on Thursday justified the Regional Security Council’s decision to shut down the University of Education, Winneba, saying the move was to prevent further destruction of the institution’s properties.
“We needed to do what we did because the students were chanting war songs and all that. It took the Kasoa division, Mankessim division and the Cape Coast division to handle the situation. The Regional Security Council by its mandate is supposed to ensure that the town is secured,” he said.
Reports indicate that there is heavy police presence at the University following the closure of the school.