Crime & Punishment Sat, 17 Feb 2018

Three caught with grenades apply for bail

Lawyers for the three men accused of possessing grenades have made another application for the Accra Central District Court to grant their clients bail.

Ismalia Ali Musah, Abdul Karim Yakubu and Osman Hassan were put before the court on charges of unlawful possession of explosives, after they were allegedly arrested with grenades at Kwashieman in Accra on January 15, 2018.

On January 31, 2018, the court, presided over by Mr Ebenezer Kwaku Ansah, refused to grant the three bail following an appeal by the prosecution that the case was still under investigation.

But at Friday’s hearing, the prosecutor, Detective Inspector Simon Apiosornu, intimated that the police had completed its investigations and had forwarded the case docket to the Attorney-General (A-G)’s Department for advice.


As a result of the revelation by the prosecutor, Mr George Asamaning and Mr Felix Aboagye, defence counsels for the accused, made another case for the court to grant their clients bail.


In his submission, Mr Asamaning, counsel for Hassan, said his client ought to be granted bail because it took years for the A-G to give an advice on a case.

He argued that all offences were now bailable as a result of a landmark Supreme Court judgement, and also his client had people of substance who were willing to stand surety.


Counsel further assured the court that his client would always appear before the court in subsequent hearings when granted bail.

Mr Aboagye, lawyer for Musah and Yakubu, also prayed the court to grant his clients bail to protect their personal liberties.

According to him, per Article 14(4) of the 1992 Constitution, the court has the power to grant his clients conditional or unconditional bail if the case is not completed within a reasonable period.

But in his reaction, Inspector Apiosornu strongly opposed the bail application and urged the court to remand the accused persons.


He argued that the court had no jurisdiction to grant bail, since the case was in court for committal proceedings.

He, therefore, urged the defence counsel to rather make the bail application before the High Court, since that court was more appropriate.

After listening to the various arguments, the court adjourned the case to February 23, 2018, for ruling on the bail application.


According to the prosecution, on January 15, 2018, the police had intelligence that Musah, Yakubu and Hassan were in possession of explosives at Kata Hostel at Kwashieman.

The police, it said, proceeded to the hostel and arrested Yakubu, who was in possession of seven grenades.

According to the prosecution, during investigations, Yakubu mentioned Musah and Hassan as the people who sold the explosives to him.

“Based on this information, the police arrested Musah and Hassan,’’ it added.

Source: Graphic.com.gh
Related Articles: