General News of Sun, 2 Sep 20189
'Vote yes' - Gonja chiefs back proposed Savanna Region creation
Gonja chiefs have backed proposals to carve out a new region from the Northern region.
In a statement Saturday, the Gonja traditional council said their support for the creation of the proposed Savanna region is based on an understanding that it does not interfere with the Gonja kingdom's territory.
A Commission of Enquiry set up by the government last year has toured several regions hearing proposals for demarcations.
The Justice Stephen Alan Brobbey-led commission spent two weeks in the Northern region in March 2018 where members of the public gave reasons for their demand for the creation of the proposed Savanna as well as the North East regions.
A referendum is expected by 2020 where residents in the proposed region will have the chance to vote for or against the proposal.
The Gonja chiefs want their people to vote 'yes'.
READ FULL STATEMENT
At an emergency meeting of Gonjaland( Yagbon) chaired by the Vice President of the Gonja Traditional Council, Buipewura Jinapor II, for and on behalf of the overlord of Gonjaland, Yagbonwura Tutuba Boresa, in Tamale, on Saturday, the 1st day of September, 2018, the following far reaching decisions were reached:
1. That Gonjaland congratulates all stakeholders for their contributions and efforts in the processes, thus far, in respect of the creation of the age old sought for Savanna Region;
2. In particular, Gonjaland commends, very highly, it’s sons and daughters as well as its cherished settler communities for their tireless efforts in the struggle for the creation of the Savanna Region;
3. Gonjaland (Yagbon) reiterates it’s long held position that, following the creation of the Savanna Region, it will not cede any traditional jurisdiction/authority over any part (s) of its kingdom;
4. Subject to paragraph three (3) above, Gonjaland (Yagbon) unreservedly accepts the boundaries of the proposed Savanna Region as spelt out in the Brobbey Commission of Enquiry’s report;
5. Gonjaland (Yagbon) entreats it’s sons, daughters, stakeholders and friends to galvanize support for a massive “YES” vote for the creation of the Savanna Region as presently proposed by the Brobbey Commission of Enquiry; and
6. Gonjaland (Yagbon) calls on it’s sons, daughters, stakeholders and friends to exercise maximum restraints as it continues to engage relevant authorities to resolve outstanding matters as they, particularly, relate to traditional land boundaries and control of same.
Thank you. Asankushun.
The Overlord of Gonjaland continues to count on the loyalty and cooperation of all.
God bless Gonjaland
God bless Savanna Region
God bless Ghana
Secretary, Gonjaland Council.