Sports News of Tue, 12 Jun 20180
GFA offices remain sealed
The otherwise vibrant office of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) remains closed and continues to be under police guard, three days after it was declared a crime scene.
The office had been under police protection since the investigative video by Anas
Aremeyaw Anas, which exposed the alleged corrupt deals of the then President of the football association, Mr Kwesi Nyantakyi, and other officials.
When the Daily Graphic visited the GFA offices about 12:43 p.m. on Monday, the main entrance to the yard had been locked, while a Formed Police Unit (FPU) vehicle was parked on the premises.
Also spotted were two policemen and a private security man standing at the security post by the main gate.
The main building had also been cordoned off with a police security tape.
One of the policemen told the Daily Graphic: "There is nothing happening here. You people already know what is trending."
Following the exposé, the Ghana Police Service last Saturday issued a statement declaring the offices of the GFA a crime scene and announced the commencement of investigations into the activities of the association.
The statement, which was signed by the Director of Police Public Affairs, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mrs Sheila Kesse Abayie-Buckman, said: “The police have started investigations into the activities of the Ghana Football Association and its offices following the Number 12 exposé by Tiger Eye PI. As a result, the offices of the GFA have been sealed off and remain inaccessible to staff of the GFA and the public until further notice.”
“The police will provide 24-hour security on the premises and entreat the public to cooperate with investigators,” it added.
It further assured members of the public that “the Police Administration will follow due processes and encourage persons with verifiable information to volunteer it to the police through the Financial Forensic Unit of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Headquarters in Accra”.
For some time the GFA and its officials were accused of perceived corrupt practices by the media and sections of the public but without concrete evidence.
The speculation of corruption had been so rife that a hint about the showing of the video by the Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, on June 6 and 7, 2018 generated a lot of interest among Ghanaians.
The aftermath of the video show led to the resignation of Mr Nyantakyi, while the government also started processes to dissolve the association.
Today's Sports News