General News Tue, 5 Jun 2018

We will consider June 4 celebration when we come to power in 2020 – Anyidoho

A Deputy National Democratic Congress [NDC] General Secretary Koku Anyidoho has stated emphatically that the June 4 anniversary celebration would be considered by his party when they return to power in 2020.

According to him, the NDC still remembers the impact of June 4, in the country’s history and will pay homage to the day annually with their party’s founder, John Jerry Rawlings.

“Anybody who believes in the NDC cannot turn their back on June 4. Its part of our history, not only in the history of the NDC but the history of this country, Ghana,” he said in an interview on NEAT FM’s morning show dubbed ‘Ghana Montie’.

Rawlings to mark 39th June 4 anniversary at Madina

Founder of the NDC and leader of the June 4 uprising, Flt Lt Jerry John Rawlings, will deliver the keynote address at a durbar of cadres and activists to climax activities marking the 39th anniversary of the uprising.

According to a statement issued by the anniversary planning committee, the durbar will take place at the Madina Social Welfare School Park on Monday from 8am.

This year’s celebration is under the theme, “Re-organising towards the core values”.

Other speakers at the event will include NDC party chairman, Kofi Portuphy, Dan Abodakpi, Fritz Baffour, Samuel Nuamah Donkor, Ebi Bright and Lawrence Lamptey.

Flashback: June 4 1979

Thirty-nine years ago on June 4, 1979 Accra was at a standstill, the Daily Graphic reported.

Below is how the Daily Graphic reported the June 4 incident

The nation was yesterday ushered into its morning life with an announcement at 6 a.m. on Radio Ghana of a change of government.

The voice which made the announcement later at 7.30 a.m. identified itself as that of Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings who was expected yesterday morning to appear before a court-martial at the Burma Camp.

He declared that he and some other ranks had taken over the Government and asked officers and men to report to Nicholson Stadium inside Burma Camp where election of officers would take place.

He invited all officers who knew they had nothing to fear to attend the meeting.

Barely an hour and half later, Major-General N. A. Nartey-Wellington, Army Commander, announced on the air that an uprising which occurred in the early hours had been quelled.

He therefore ordered officers and men of the Armed Forces to return to their respective units while steps were being taken to return the Armed Forces to normalcy.

He then invited Flt. Lt. Rawlings and his supporters to meet him at the First Infantry Brigade headquarters at Kpeahie Ridge and promised there would be no arrests and victimization.

The lull which followed this announcement was, however, broken at 3.32 p.m. when a special Radio Ghana announcement said that Flight-Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings and his men had taken over control of the country.

The announcer accused the leaders of the various military regimes which have been in control of the country for the past seven years of hypocrisy and corruption.

He ordered that all those who had held office as members of the National Redemption Council and the Supreme Military Council since 1972 to report at the Airforce Station or the nearest police station for their own safety.

He assured the nation that the electioneering campaign and procedure would continue as scheduled and pledged that the elections would he held as scheduled.

He said there was no cause for alarm and called on the civilian population not to panic.

The announcer later asked some civilians and army personnel to report at the Airforce Station.

They included His Grace John Kodwo Amissah, Archbishop of Cape Coast, the Right Reverend Peter Akwasi , Bishop of Kumasi, Father Hillary Senoo of the Catholic Secretariat, the President the National House of Chiefs and President of the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS).

Others were Mr Adumoa Bossman, Mr Mike Atadika, Mr Kojo Smith and Mr Mama Alhassan .

Later on the Chief of Defence Stadd, Lt-General Joshua l Hamidu also confirmed that the new Revolutionary Council had taken over the reins of government.

In a broadcast over Radio Ghana, General Hamidu asked troops loyal to S.M.C. to lay down their arms to avoid further bloodshed.

Cpl Mends from the Airforce Stateion announced this morning (3:00am) that Major-General Odartey-Wellington had been killed.

Source: peacefmonline.com
Related Articles: