The Minority in Parliament has said its members will join Ghanaians who will be demonstrating on Wednesday, 28 March 2018 in Accra against the Akufo-Addo-led government for ratifying a defence agreement between Ghana and the United States of America.
A statement signed by Ranking Member, Communications Committee of Parliament, Alhaji A.B.A. Fuseini, said: “Minority Members of Parliament will join forces with the Ghana First Patriotic Front (GFPF) and all other groups who have so far registered their displeasure by expressing their unflinching support and participation in tomorrow's march of destiny.”
The statement further said: “The resistance to this betrayal does not end with our walk-out in Parliament when the NPP abused its majority. We continue to explore many democratic options not limited to demonstrations, public forum, picketing, court actions and the notice we have served that a future NDC Government will urgently review this obnoxious agreement.”
Some civil society groups including the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) will tomorrow march against the Ghana-USA defence deal.
According to the aggrieved groups, government has sold the country’s sovereignty to the USA for a pittance of $20million. They also fear a US military base in Ghana will open the country up for terror attacks.
The deal approved by the Majority in parliament will give US forces unfettered access to certain key military installations as well as diplomatic immunity in Ghana. The US government will be spending $20 million in training and supplying equipment for the Ghana Armed Forces with Ghana expected to bear the cost for securing US military facilities in the country.