Click to read all about coronavirus →
Some supporters of the People’s National Convention (PNC), besieged the party’s headquarters earlier on Tuesday, demanding the immediate removal of their National Chairman, Bernard Mornah, and the General Secretary, Atik Mohammed.
According to the irate supporters, the leadership of these two executives has contributed to the dwindling fortunes of the PNC.
They have accused them of supporting and speaking for the two major political parties; the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) and opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP).
A former PNC parliamentary aspirant for Ayawaso North, Mohammed Abdulai Gyanlo, who led the protest, handed a two-week ultimatum to the two executives to step down.
Speaking to Citi News, he said, “we are where we are because of that greed. They personally came to power in order to amass wealth for themselves which some of us saw clearly and we decided to go against them.”
Mr. Gyanlo thus demanded the Bernard Mornah and Atik Mohammed resign, saying, “we are giving them an ultimatum of two weeks after which there will be a positive action. We are asking them to resign now for us to see the way forward.”
Atik Mohammed has however downplayed the credibility of the protesters, alleging that the protesters were largely alien to the PNC, thus the protest was not a reflection of the party supporters’ sentiments towards the leadership of the party.
Speaking to Citi News in response to the protests, Mr. Mohammed said the allegations are being championed by individuals who want to see the downfall of the present leadership.
“We came with some mechanisms which they find highly uncomfortable, but those mechanisms are meant to change the fortunes of the people,” the party General Secretary said.
“So somebody went somewhere, I am told somewhere around Nima, and found these individuals to write these placards and say all kinds of things.”
Mr. Mohammed also suggested that, all true supporters of the party were standing by their Flagbearer, Dr. Edward Mahama in court, as he fights his disqualification from the presidential race on Tuesday morning.
“Today [Tuesday] in court, these very individuals who claimed that we were solely responsible did not appear. If they loved our candidate that much, if they loved our party that much and they actually wanted our participation in this year’s election, they should have been in court.”
Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.