A group calling itself Concerned Youth for Development (CYD) in the Weija-Gbawe constituency, has commended the National Democratic Congress (NDC) and its Parliamentary Candidate, Obuobia Darko-Opoku for bringing development into the constituency.“The executive members of CYD would wish to thank the President of the Republic of Ghana, John Dramani Mahama through the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Parliamentary aspirant, Obuobia Darko-Opoku for her hardwork, determination and foresight to bringing development to Weija-Gbawe constituency”, the group said.
Concerned youth for development is a pressure group in the Weija- Gbawe Constituency aimed at supporting development for socioeconomic advancement of the people in the constituency. The group has been in existence since 2012 with members across the seven wards of the constituency namely, Gbawe, Mallam, McCarthy, Weija, Oblogo-Tetegu, New Weija and New Gbawe.
In a statement issued and signed by its convener, Dr. Philip Markwei Thompson, stated that they have been monitoring and evaluating the socio-economic and political activities within the constituency and have come to terms that the NDC candidate has done a lot for the constituency.
Though she lost the bid to contest as the MP for the area in 2012, the group led by its convener, were convinced that Obuobia has done tremendously well, compared to Rosemond Abrah, the MP.
They thus pleaded with the constituents to vote for her massively since she has started delivering on her promises already.
Below are a number of things spelt out by the CYD to have been done by Obuobia Darko:
Donated a 17,000 water tank filled with water to the chiefs and people of Wiabomah.
Built a 3 classroom block for weija Presby JHS.
3. Facilitated the asphalting and construction of 3 a number of major roads in the constituency, namely, Main Mallam-Gbawe road, Main Weija road, Tetegu road, Oblogo Top base road, Zero road, CP road and nany others.
4. Facilitated the installation of 1200 street lights in the constituency
5. Donated 10 chairs and 5 street lights to the chiefs and people of Wiabomah.
6. Constructed a footbridge on the Ash-bread road to aid smooth passage of pedestrians and vehicles.
7. Constructed a foot-bridge in New Gbawe to aid movement of vehicles and pedestrians.
8. Constructed a borehole and donated a poly tank to the chief and people of Gons3, a community in de constituency
9. Re-graveled a kilometer road on the Ash-board – Toronto stretch.
10. Through the Smart ladies Association, I have supported about 3000 women with loans in the constituency.
11. Provided free registration of 1200 persons under NHIS
12. Provided 2500 mathematical sets to all B.E.C.E. candidates for 2015 in the constituency.
13. Currently sponsoring about 10 students in both second cycle and tertiary institutions.
14. Donated 50 wheel chairs, 50 white canes and 100 crutches to the physically challenged
15. Donated 2000 blocks and 100 cement bags for the completion of a fence wall for Aggrey School at Tetegu.
16. Donated 70 bags of cement to Christ Apostolic church in tetegu as a support for their church project.
17. Donated 500 blocks and 100 bags of cement to Presbytarian Church of Ghana, Gbawe branch as a support for their church project.
18. Donated 10 streetlights to residence of Wasaman in Tetegu.
19. Collaborated with the Lordina Foundation to donate 100 bags cement, 10 street-lights, sewing machines, 12 laptops and industrial machines to Pentecost Vocational School.
20. Donated 3 sets of computers to St. Jude JHS.
21. Donates 100 bags of rice, 100 cartons of drinks, Gallons of oil , “Butas” and Mats to the Moslem community at the Ramadan annually from 2012 till date
22. Collaborated with the Lordina Foundation to undertake a free health screening of about 1000 women in Gbawe – Breast cancer, STD's, AIDS check etc.
23. Established a “watch dog” committee to patrol the Mandela community every evening
24. Built a mosque for the Mallam zongo youth.
25. Regravelled a 4 kilometre road for broadcasting township, Nii Otokunor Street.
26. Donated a 1500 litre polytank and relief items to the Ga South Municipal hospital (Akawe)
27. Provision of 1500 PVC pipes for the wiaboman community for water extention project.
28. Provision of an ambulance to the GA south municipal hospital (Akawe), just to mention but a few.