Six contractors are mobilizing to fix the six abandoned footbridges on the Madina-Adenta Highway.
The contractors, mostly locals, are expected to fix the footbridges on the stretch that has so far claimed over 20 lives.
The death of the female student of the West Africa Senior High School (WASS), who attempted to cross the road after school last Thursday, sparked violent protests by residents along the Madina-Adenta stretch of the highway that links Aburi to Accra.
Residents, mainly youth, set fire to old car tyres to block the road to express their anger over the death of the student by a speeding vehicle.
Government immediately announced its readiness to resume work on the six abandoned footbridges on the Madina-Adenta stretch of the N4 Highway.
The move is part of comprehensive work plan to fix Ghana’s broken infrastructure.
The comprehensive programme is to be introduced after the presentation of 2019 Budget Statement this week.
Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwasi Amoako-Atta, in a release, appealed to residents in and around the area to remain calm and cooperate with the ministries, as steps are being taken to address the safety challenges.”
According to the release, work on the uncompleted six footbridges is expected to commence within a week, and would be done on an accelerated basis with multiple contractors to ensure quick completion.
It said, “This is in accordance with already commenced processes prior to the unfortunate incident that occurred on Thursday.”
Government expressed regrets about the incident and pledged to expedite action to complete the footbridges to ensure the safety of the residents.
It said, “The Inter-Ministerial Committee on Roads and Highways, Transport and Interior notes with regret the frequent incidents of road crashes and its resultant casualties on the Madina-Adenta Highway.”
According to the statement, “These incidents have been occasioned by high speeding vehicles and inadequate pedestrian crossing facilities, including footbridges.”
The statement pointed out that “to help ameliorate the challenges, traffic signal lights and street lighting are also to be fixed to improve visibility on the corridor.”
It also indicated that “the National Road Safety Commission (NRSC) is to intensify its education and sensitization programmes targeting drivers and pedestrians along the corridor.”
The six contractors would move to site this week to complete the footbridges abandoned by the previous contractor that constructed the N4 Highway largely due to the lack of funds.
Residents are planning a massive demonstration against the authorities, particularly the Roads and Highway Minister today, but with the latest assurance the demonstration may be cancelled.
President Akufo-Addo, who is saddened by the tragic incident of last Thursday, in a statement, said “our nation has suffered an unnecessary loss. The scenes that played out in its aftermath are regrettable, and should not happen again.”
According to the President, “The Ministry of Roads and Highways is ensuring that work begins on the completion of these bridges in the course of the coming week, and has put together a comprehensive plan to address systematically all these infrastructural problems which are legacies of a past decade of neglect. My condolences, once again, to the family.”