4
Regional News Tue, 29 Mar 2016

Bunkpurugu residents returns after nine years of conflict

Some residents who fled Bunkpurugu following a protracted chieftaincy dispute are returning to the Northern regional town following a peace agreement between the factions.

A representative of the Jamon faction, Elisha Naah told Joy News, Tuesday, that although most of the returnees have no places to lay their heads, they are gradually moving back to the town.

Hundreds fled to neighboring country Togo after a controversy between the Jamong and the Jafouk gates in the Northern Regional town triggered a conflict.

The conflict has lasted at least nine years. Countless lives were lost and properties were destroyed during the prolonged conflict.

The town has suffered underdevelopment as a result of the conflict as it was renewed at the slightest provocation. The dispute necessitated the imposition of a 10pm to 4am curfew and a heavy police and military presence in the town.

oy News’ Seth Kwame Boateng produced a detailed documentary, “Brothers at War” some weeks ago, highlighting how businesses, education, health and other activities had been halted due to the war.

But on March 18th 2016, the two factions met for the first time in many years to end the conflict and initiate steps towards peace building.

Economic and religious activities among others have returned to normalcy after the peace declaration.

The serene atmosphere in the town now is attracting residents who fled the town during the conflict.

The representative of the Jamon faction, Elisha Naah said some returnees whose houses were burnt during the conflict are currently residing with him.

“They all want to come back and settle but they cannot roof their houses with thatched roof due to the impending rainy season,” he said.

He pleaded with government to provide the people with roofing materials to enable them move back to Bunkpurugu.

The Paramount Chief of Bunkpurugu, Naa Alhaji Abuba Nasinmong appealed to teachers and all health professionals who left the town to also return.

“They shouldn’t fear anything, they shouldn’t doubt anything. They should come back and continue their job. We are one people and there is nothing wrong again,” Naa Alhaji Abuba Nasinmong assured.

He also expressed gratitude to Joy News for the documentary which highlighted the cost of the Bunkpurugu conflict. He attributed the current peace in that town to the documentary.

Source: Myjoyonline.com