Prosper Owusu, a level 300 student of the Akenten Appiah-Minkah University of Skills Training and Entrepreneurial Development (AAMUSTED), died on August 25, 2023, after sustaining severe burns during a hall procession at the school. He was 23 years old.
Owusu was the Chief Priest of Opoku Ware II Hall at AAMUSTED and was known for leading traditional rites for the hall. He was reportedly performing some activities in the hall when the fire broke out. He was rushed to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi, but he died on September 1.
Owusu's death has been met with widespread sadness and grief. The AAMUSTED community has expressed its condolences to his family and friends. His funeral will be held on Thursday, September 14, at his hometown in Kwadaso, Kumasi.
The circumstances surrounding the fire are still being investigated. However, it is believed that the fire may have been caused by a candle that was left unattended.
Owusu's death is a tragedy. He was a young man with a bright future ahead of him. He was a talented student and a respected member of the AAMUSTED community. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him.
The AAMUSTED community is in mourning. The school has canceled all activities for the day and has set up a memorial for Owusu. A candlelight vigil will be held on Wednesday, September 13, at the Opoku Ware II Hall.
The school is also providing counseling services to students and staff who are grieving Owusu's death.
Owusu's death is a reminder of the dangers of fire. It is important to be careful when using candles and other flammable materials. It is also important to have a fire escape plan in place in case of a fire.
My thoughts and prayers are with Owusu's family and friends during this difficult time.