An Open Letter To Nana Akufo Addo

Opinion Icon News[2]

Sat, 25 Oct 2014 Source: Mohammed, Chief Obosu

WALKING THE PATH TO VICTORY...... Dear Sir, I write to congratulate you on your emphatic victory in the just ended October 18th presidential primary. Let me also thank you and the National Council of our party for appointing Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia as your running-mate – it is a strategic decision and a partnership that will realise our dreams of winning political power in 2016, with the purpose of transforming our economy and bringing prosperity to the people of Ghana.

As the then Press Aide to your keen competitor, Mr. Alan Kyerematen, it was a disappointing moment for me and those who shared in my philosophy on who should become our candidate, when the results were announced. However, despite our disagreement on candidacy, I stand proud of your iconic accomplishment, because it was a victory for the NPP and also the beginning of the journey to the Flagstaff House.

As someone who cares deeply about the issues surrounding democracy, political tolerance and unity amongst patriots and Ghanaians, I sincerely hope that your candidacy will contribute to moving us towards a more “camp-blind party”; Where people will agree to disagree, yet work towards a common ground that will inure to our collective interests.

In moving forward, it must be said that the 2014 internal presidential election has been quite reveling. One such revelation, which came at the end of the vote count, is that the NPP family is united in its decision towards the 2016 national elections. In spite of that, you should thank fellow competitors for battling you to the end in your primary fight: they made you a stronger candidate and it forced you to build a stronger grassroots team in all 275 constituencies, contributing to your victory. You knew a 100% endorsement was not possible, though, a 94% vote is a victory of similar magnitude. However, the remaining 6% must still be lauded for alternative views that has kept this party and its democratic tenets alive and on its toes.

That is what defines our tradition – upholding the principle of choice at any given time and fully cooperating and working our heart out whenever a majority decision or consensus has been achieved.

On the night of the declaration, political pundits talked about an emphatic and dramatic win from well-meaning patriot; an admirable feat I must say. But I am quick to mention that the victory places an enormous responsibility on your shoulders as you rightly indicated in your acceptance speech and one which requires your immediate attention.

History is a great teacher and as we go forward, I humbly ask you to check on apathy within our fold and also to properly integrate the talents of all capable NPP members whose efforts can win us the national election in 2016.

I beg to sound a caution in my humble capacity to all fellow patriots not to repeat the mistakes of our past by alienating our own, and to desist from sounding threats of exclusion from a power not yet won.

As the Bible says and I paraphrase, a good shepherd is one who has a thousand sheep, but still keeps an eye on the ‘one’ that strays. There is power in numbers, and sometimes the difference between a win and a loss is a “single” vote; hence, we cannot afford to lose our own.

In the spirit of togetherness, therefore, I entreat your kind office to call us to attention and charge us with the work towards a resounding and convincing one-touch victory in 2016. We cannot disappoint the people of Ghana this time, it is either we win or win.

The primary election also revealed a crack amongst other irregularities that may have caused us past defeats and has the power to cause future mayhem if left unattended. It may seem negligible, but out of about130, 000 votes, over a 1000 votes were ruined. This may be an indication of a shortfall in the training on certain voting procedures which must be salvaged towards victory 2016.

The Ghanaian economy lays lifeless under the crippling weight of corruption, incompetence and economic destitution from the current John Mahama led NDC administration. I will, therefore, do my utmost best to support you and the NPP party to regain power and restore hope to the mass of our people.

In service to party and country,

Chief Obosu Mohammed

NPP member, Mfantseman


Columnist: Mohammed, Chief Obosu