Opinions of Sat, 7 Jan 20170
The imperium of the thumb
By Alhassan Andani
I have read multitudinous of features concerning the last held
elections on both print and electronic media. Political pathologists
have performed postmortems on the victor's victory and the abysmal
performance of those who were subjugated.
They cited a lot of factors which in a way can pass the truth test if
it is subjected to the test of a polygraph. The sophisticated Ghanaian
voter has given the politician a tremendous justification to worry
after they have proven they are no longer those that can be taken for
a ride. They have arisen for change!
The season of political reproves it was! Pollsters prognosticated with
their pens and pencils on graphs but the voters did the accurate
prognostications with their thumbprints on the ballot papers. In the
end, it vividly emerged that voters are the genuine pollsters and not
those in a fully air-conditioned room on swivel chairs always taking a
comfortable lead in foretelling the outcome of elections. The voters
smashed eggs on the faces of the pollsters.
The vanquished campaigned with â€˜â€˜Changing lives and Transforming
Ghana and the victors campaigned with â€˜â€˜Arise For Change.
Indubitably, the formers live was really transformed with opposition
status and the latters did achieve what they have been running after
for the past seven years from the Ghanaian elector, political power.
The National Democratic Congress banked their hope of electoral
fortunes on the massive infrastructure projects doted across the
length and width of the country only to be shown the exit door with
inauspicious percentage of valid votes cast.
I am still flummoxed and infact, discombobulated like a Member of
Parliament who convincingly loss an election and chaperoned
joblessness into unparliamentary life as to whether the Ghanaian voter
did not want to break the voter pattern relationship with the united
states of America or change was the latest and sweetest chocolate in
town that merited tasting especially when the residents of Adenta who
heretofore was searching for Adams ale with Kuffour Gallons is now
having the commodity flowing through their taps and showers with
pressure capable of causing injury to the human head in the process of
I just cant think near needless to talk of far!
The National Democratic Congress started taking the heat from their
world bank which disappointed with low number of votes like a
well-established financial institution with low patronage in the
period of economic growth. The voters from the world bank were languid
and the number of votes to cushion and voyage to victory was sure to
The people were angry, dissatisfied and felt maltreated by their amigo whom they have had a maximum number of votes affair with since 1992. Truth be told, history repeated itself from 2008 when the current victors lost the harmonious association with the grassroots of their stronghold, the Ashanti Region.
When they are surfeited with villainy, it is manifested on the
election day, albeit, they will always give you a chirpy welcome and
dance to Nana y3 winner or Mahama paper because they can't jilt a
friend because of a changed attitude.
My elders put it bluntly, you dont reject your friend because of changed attitude but you only revise your relationship with him. With a flame of anger burning in them, they will still wear a smile and dance to your obeisance and even hold the party paraphernalia up in the sky with their thumbs and index fingers and wait to vote against you on the election day with their heads.
It is weighty to reminisce that the wind of change started blowing
from the English speaking West African countries, from Nigeria to
Gambia where a ruler on the throne for the past twenty-two years lost
to an opposition coalition. Pertinent to this revolution of change,
one could have predicted with some level of dogmatism that the wind of
change was going to blow H.E John Mahama and his white doves out of
the flagstaff house regardless of their weight in kilograms. You may
dissent because liberty is yours!
Enough of these sentences about these two political parties! Who made
sure the game of no draw didnâ€™t transmogrify into a game of
fisticuffs? Who was the moderator? Who was the referee? Who declared
the results and brought a moment of gratification? The answer is
conspicuous even to a kindergarten kid, Madam Charlotte Osei!
The woman has adduced sufficient evidence for my sentence into a prison of
feminist activism in the offing. She disappointed the naysayer and
made the yea-sayer proud. She is overly intrepid. I hope to marry her
replica tomorrow, yes and I mean it! She passed the test with
distinction which begun with the transmutation of the commission.
I nearly took a selfie with my smartphone of the newly branded voting
booth. I was apathetic initially like a voter from the world bank of
the current losers but I couldnt resist the allurement of the voting
booth. At some point, I thought of dognapping the voting booth instead
of the ballot box.
What! What about the period to period press briefings and the unbreakable smaller machine which continued to say verified without getting too enervated unlike in 2012? I can boundlessly write about her commission. I am not saying she is unblemished but she has chalked a major milepost in our electoral proceedings culminating into consolidation of our democratic gains.
Simply put, Mama Charlotte was the victor, the feminine with masculine
The seventh parliament is a place to put a magnifying glass on for the
next four years with the kvetching opposition and the mollified
rulers. Oppong Nkrumah is in parliament with Ofoase Ayirebis seat.
Anthony Karbo has finally effectuated his aim of entering parliament
by causing a political tsunami at Lawra Constituency.
Equally did the constituents of Kwabre East give their mandate to the 22-year-old whippersnapper. The veteran Ambrose Derry is back to represent Nandom!
It is self-evident that more â€œbabies with sharp teethâ€ have entered
parliament on the ticket of the National Democratic Congress ready to
bite hard on the â€˜one this, one thatâ€™ utopian promises of the Akuffo
Addo led administration. I hope Suhuyini will speak big sensible
grammar on the floor of the house unlike his foreganger who was silent
like someone who believed in the saying that â€œsilence is golden.
Ras Mubarak also made it to parliament with the seat of Kumbungu, I hope
he distinguish between being a reggae presenter and an aldermember! Osu Lagartha dumbstruck Philip Addison and pulled the Klottey-Korle seat along with her to parliament. I nearly forgot that E.T Mensah met his waterloo and unwillingly gave his throne to Sam Dzata George who ensuingly won the ultimate prize. What about the Communication Specialist turned politician previously at the Energy
Ministry, Edward Abambire Bawa? an augment to the communication
machinery of the opposition, I guess. Isaac Adongo cannot wait to
perlustrate the budget of the Akuffo led government.
God did not create us on this rich land to be poor. The elector said
yes in accord and voted. I wish H.E Akufo-Addo well. I hope our change
will not be unfavourable like in other jurisdictions where the economy
has slipped into downturn.
The ship must not sink! Because the Ghanaian elector will not tergiversate to jettison the captain on December 7th, 2020 in much same way one captain was jettisoned. To those mulling on how to rig elections in the future, Kindly recalibrate your notes before trailing a course on election rigging
because technology will not sit with arms akimbo and aloof. It will
With my polished shoes looking up to God and my pair of ironed khaki
trousers on every Monday morning, I can't wait to manage one of the
factories after graduation in 2018!
Dont fear only Delegates but fear also the imperium of the thumb.
Something to chew on!
I know I am intelligent because I know I know nothing [Socrates].
God bless Ghana.
- 2016 polls: MP candidates blew $85K each – CDD-Ghana
- The return of NDC’s Messiah and NPP’s possible sixteen years in power
- Delta Force court attack “primitive”, “criminal” – Judges
- Why NDC will experience more voter apathy in 2020
- Kwame Mayor as Minister for Diasporian Affairs
- Election 2016: As Ghana march towards a liberal democratic tradition
- Live from the Woods: What Akufo-Addo missed in Mahama’s 2012 victory speech
- Change is here: Little things that matter
- Live from the Woods: Akufo-Addo’s ‘dirty little secret’ that got him president
- A Letter to Nana Addo: 5 NDC sins you must not commit
- MANASSEH’S FOLDER: In defence of Amissah-Arthur
- Provocative Conscience: Why the NDC’s bible verses did not work
- Election in retrospect: Did NPP thwart NDC’s infernal rigging scheme?
- Amissah-Arthur's contribution to Mahama's unprecedented electoral defeat
- Akufo-Addo can’t fail Ghanaians
- Good riddance to incompetent Mahama
- No single blame should even be directed at Jerry John Rawlings
- Kofi Dubai: The week after the electoral tsunami
- Politics is not a boys club
- Charlotte Osei, an embodiment of hope and courage
- Akufo-Addo should stop apologizing for winning election 2016
- All hail our decisive President-elect, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo
- Is Akufo-Addo the change Ghanaians really want? 
- Congratulations Ghanaians; you have a tax cut coming
- Farewell Mr. John Dramani Mahama
- Ghanafo mbo!! - Welldone, Ghanaians!!
- Akufo-Addo – the saviour that Ghanaians have waited so long for
- The nefarious destructive cancer attempted to invent God
- Elizabeth Ohene writes: My election
- Thank you, President Mahama
- NDC has taken enough beatings in the polling booth
- The role of anti-corruption campaign in the Ghana 2016 election
- Election violence: All quiet on the Ghanaian front?
- The NDC era of shame, callousness and thievery – JDM falls
- The dissipation of the NDC, from the lens of a Voltarian child
- Why Akufo-Addo’s acceptance speech is a political joke.
- Election 2016: Nana Akufo-Addo won for Ghana
- Open letter to president-elect Nana Akuffo Addo
- My 10-point dos and don'ts for Akuffo-Addo
- Election 2016: Ghana did great a job
- A letter to Nana Addo and NPP as incoming government
- Election 2016: Ghana is the winner!
- Is Akufo-Addo the change Ghanaians really want?
- How Nana Addo and Bawumia survived attacks by vicious 'dogs'
- Where was our first lady?
- Ghana comes through again
- Finally, the big man has spoken
- Serious Akufo-Addo will appoint Martin Amidu as AG
- Look here, Asiedu-Nketia, NDC governance travesty is over!
- Has Kwesi Pratt Jnr suffered any heart attack?
- Handkerchief, handkerchief, handkerchief
- Nana Akufo-Addo, please be a different leader
- Akufo-Addo’s rise from the ashes: Did God make him president?
- Lawyer Sosu writes: We did our politics but God chose his leader
- The voice of the people
- Akufo Addo is being quite irresponsible
- I trust in God, not politicians
- Ghanaians, don’t be fooled
- Election 2016: Will Ghanaians vote President Mahama or Nana Akufo-Addo?
- A last word for Mahama, Akuffo-Addo and Madam
- Will Kufuor vote for Akufo-Addo?
- Bright Simons writes: 16 voting procedures you must observe today
- President Mahama thinks his Northern brothers are fools
- The scrapped allowances; Ghana's bright future
- The Impact Crew: Ghana decides today
- Mission possible for the Progressive Peoples’ Party (PPP)
- Dec polls winner should put SMEs high on agenda
- Vote out the NPP and the NDC! 
- Arrest the obstinate and unrepentant Charlotte Osei
- Kwesi Pratt Jnr turns into stomach politician
- Bagbin versus Mornah on Wednesday
- Election 2016 anchor: A decision on political morass
- Nana Akufo-Ado is the main man
- Not even Kufuor will vote for Akufo-Addo!
- Ref: Bernard Mornah adopts desperate measures as Bagbin cruises to victory
- Bugri Naabu bribery saga: NDC putting up stupid defence
- Vote out the NPP and NDC! 
- Why NPP will win the 2016 elections
- President Mahama says Ghanaians are fools
- Kwesi Pratt May need ambulance on December 7th
- Vote John Mahama on Dec. 7
- My confusions and the 'Toaso', 'Twaso' legacies.
- The December polls must not be ‘do-or-die’ affair.
- Would tax cuts induce growth in Ghana: An assessment of NPP’s manifesto promises
- December 7, Will it be President Mahama or Nana Akufo-Addo?
- Greenstreet is a payola-guzzling hustler
- Gabby Otchere Darko is living fat on lies
- Peaceful elections: The spiritual implication of voting
- Election 2016 has begun: Disturbing matters arising
- Let peace reign in Ghana forever
- Special Voting irregularities: Why EC must buckle up
- Ghana will not burn after the 2016 elections
- Vote out the NPP and the NDC! 
- A vote for mahama is the wisest vote
- The Special Voting tells how the EC has already rigged election
- Nana Akufo-Addo cannot function effectively
- Uncle, even NDC founder Rawlings, might not vote Mahama
- Ghana’s peace depends on the impartiality of the Security Service
- PPP to win first parliamentray seat?
- Appeal to Ghanaian prayer warriors
- We don’t need this kind of “koobi” prophecy
- Never trust Nana Addo/Bawumia fake promises!
- Greed is going to cost NDC the election
- Hassan Ayariga’s tribal APC political machine implodes
- The Electoral Commissioner has too much power!
- Mahama’s 'northern brothers', Akufo-Addo’s 'yen akanfuo' 5
- The NPP believes only what its own agenda reveals to it
- NDC party has been exposed!
- A thing worth doing is worth doing well
- Bogus polls by Dr Isaac Owusu Mensah
- Mahama and the NDC will lose elections 2016
- Re: Don’t change me for changing sake - Mahama
- Do you really pity northerners Mr President?
- Here we go!! Election 2016 is here!
- More tricks by President Mahama to influence election 2016
- NPP leadership must listen and listen to me carefully!
- Akufo-Addo to change Ghana in 18 months?
- When the policeman becomes a politician
- Akufo-Addo must accept apology of Simpa Chiefs and move on
- Mahama’s 'Northern brothers,' Akufo-Addo’s “Yen Akanfuo” 2
- What is happening in Ghana this election season?
- NDC’s 96 months peregrination to nowhere (1)
- Akatsi North goes NPP...As NDC shares goodies for votes
- Ghana’s election 2016: The role of the youth in promoting peace
- Let my people go
- Electoral violence negates democracy
- Harruna Attah writes: Matters arising on 'Ethnocentricity'
- Why the Bawumia factor represents a mortal threat to the NDC
- Partisan law enforcement Cops
- Mahama deserves a reward to complete his good works
- A Plus confirms Mahama's economy is great
- Peace is what we need
- No government jobs, no votes
- The politics of running mates since 1979
- Akufo-Addo can only win December polls if it’s free and fair - Prophet Kobi
- EC’s bad faith towards media disturbing
- Whose police report, Kwadwo Twum-Boafo?
- Re: In spite of ‘war of lies’ country is moving forward - Mahama
- I fear for Amissah Arthur
- 'Corrupt' Mahama and his appointees are afraid of Akufo Addo-NPP gov't
- Nana Addo left holes... never trust him
- Backwardness on full display at Manhyia
- Mahama’s “Northern Brothers,” Akufo-Addo’s “Yen Akanfuo”
- If you must be a liar, at least be a smart liar – Akoffo Addo is no JAK
- Let us pull our nation from the brink
- NDC shamelessly use Krobos to divide Ghana
- Mahama deliberately, mischievously plays tribal bigotry against Bawumia
- Our Volta ancestors might curse any of us who votes for NPP
- Manasseh's Folder: Mahama isn’t the problem, our hypocrisy is!
- Akuffo Addo not an alternative to President Mahama
- Judgement day awaits clueless Mahama and co
- Nana Akufo-Addo is an embodiment of violence
- Re: I’ll change Ghana in 18 months if you vote for me-Akufo Addo
- NDC should concentrate more on Greater Accra
- Yvonne Nduom a possible First Lady in-waiting
- Haruna Atta's ingratitude and lies
- Haruna Attah: 'Ethnocentricity' - President Mahama has a valid point!
- NPP will never do another Presidential-Election petition, trust me
- Pity yourself, President Mahama
- Mahama said nothing wrong and will not apologize to anybody
- Open letter to President Mahama from Zongo Movement
- Re: I’m humble, patient and tolerant - Mahama
- Mahama's shameful tribal campaign must be condemned
- I hope the NPP has contacted this man of God already?
- The impact crew: That which money cannot buy
- Dubai amidst poverty, filth and lost-pride
- Ghana election 2016: The silence of the lambs
- The stomach politician and the discerning voter
- The 2 questions Akufo-Addo should answer to have my vote
- The rogues and the masquerade
- Rejoinder: Mamprugu youth chiefs never endorsed NPP
- On infrastructural projects: Mahama is only a chief contractor
- Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo the right man to move Ghana forward
- Masked meanings: Deciphering Ghana's campaign parables
- 60 reasons why you must vote for NDC in 2016
- I thought President Mahama was a magician
- Look how partisan politics has numbed the critical faculties of Ghanaians! 2
- Another reason why Mahama must ‘twaso’
- An antidote against winner-takes-all policy
- The stupidity and childish politics in Asunafo South must stop.
- Fear the media
- Most Rev. Asante and others; stop the hasty conclusion and blame game
- NPP has been a liability to Obuasi residents since 1992
- Nana Addo writes to Ghanaians: We’ll do things differently
- Mahama is intellectually exhausted
- The electoral nakedness of Charlotte Osei is made public
- Look how partisan politics has numbed the critical faculties of Ghanaians!
- Why President Mahama must not be allowed to ‘toaso’
- Re: Any idiot can borrow money and build projects
- You can’t trust Mahama
- Akufo-Addo writes in Newsweek ahead of December 7 polls
- NDC supporters: Please stay away from Akufo-Addo’s gallery
- Franklin Cudjoe should focus on better issues than Hassan Ayariga
- Mahama has to lose the vote to free the people of Ghana
- EC boss, a nuisance to Ghana’s democracy - Ayariga
- In Bawumia's heart, he knows Mahama has caused the change Mamprugu desired
- Electoral violence, ethics and society
- Change is coming like 'kakai'
- Fear and laughter on the Ghana campaign trail
- NDC won't burn Owusu Bempah's church
- An open letter to Mrs Charlotte Osei, the chairperson of the Electoral Commission
- Election time in Ghana, who votes for who and why?
- Sydney Casely-Hayford writes: Toaso violently
- Appeal for votes and assistance from Ghana students for NPP
- Ayariga writes: EC boss, a nuisance to Ghana’s democracy
- Mr Dele Momodu has lost his corporate Mojo!
- Dear voters, vote for John Dramani Mahama on December 7th
- Do they really have Ghana’s wellbeing at heart?
- Ben Ephson erred in prediction of victory for NPP in Ayawaso North - NDC man
- Beyond the rhetoric, Ledzokuku must vote to retain Hon Sena
- Prophecy about who wins elections: Ghanaians you are smarter than this!
- Strategies for NPP to win Election 2016
- Mahama, NDC desperately clinging on to straws while drowning
- You can only guarantee peace with integrity – Herbert Mensah advises EC chair
- I smell some double standards here
- NPP must not rely solely on favourable prophesies
- Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings is an expired commodity
- Ungrateful Mahama keeps insulting memory of Mills
- Whither the Electoral Commission?— Respect is the order
- Nana Konadu is a moral and functional illiterate, period!
- Re: I’ll make corruption unattractive in my next term in office-Mahama
- Election 2016: A choice of competing capabilities in leadership
- NDC let's adopt ballots campaign
- Americans vote for change: The lessons are clear for Ghanaians
- Ghana Decides 2016 - Parliamentary seats outlook P2
- What is the EC doing to our multi-party democracy?
- Defend integrity of the ballot - Lecturer to Ghanaians
- NPP’s renewed strength vs NDC ambitious one million votes
- Why is Kwesi Nduom so apologetic?
- Disregard NDC lies, think about your future and vote for NPP
- Does the NPP have a manifesto to propagate?
- Why the people have to show Mahama the red card
- Mr. President, Kalyppo stakes a claim to the Flagstaff House 1
- Can EC hold credible, free and fair elections in 2016?
- Let your vote count on December 7
- NDC provides epitome of hope as NPP drown in mythology
- NPP campaign soar, as panic grips the NDC
- Election 2016 stands to be tested: Are Ghanaians ready?
- Vote for the best character
- The risible predispositions of Mahama and his clamorous NDC apparatchiks
- Mahama cannot be serious for calling Akufo Addo a dictator
- Prophet Owusu-Bempah, would President Mahama survive the plague?
- Akufo-Addo is neither materialistic nor a thief
- Mahama can take no pride in botched CHRAJ report
- Ghana’s wash and wear politics
- 2016 Elections: Top four needs of women
- Bawumiah's bad economics - for political gain