Click to read all about coronavirus →
PETITION TO HIS EXCELLENCY THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA
Ama Benyiwa Doe Must Be Extradited To Face Justice
cc- Amnesty International-United Kingdom
The Minister for Africa, The Foreign Office United Kingdom
Human Rights Watch, Geneva, Switzerland
Director of Interpol(Ghana Office),Accra, Ghana
Mr John Henry Martey Newman –Chief of Staff, Office of the President of the Republic of Ghana, Castle Osu Accra
Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Aso Rock, Abuja, Nigeria
The Ogun State Police directorate, Nigeria
Fatou Bensouda, The International Criminal Court, The Hague Netherlands.
I have written several times to you regarding the murder of my uncle Mr Oscar Doe in the Federal Republic of Nigeria by Madam Ama Benyiwa Doe, currently a minister in your government.Despite my appeals to you to intervene and take action, No response has come from your esteemed office.
May I remind you of my previous petition.
Background to the case
Sir, Many Ghanaians are still wondering why the honourable minister - Ama Benyiwa Doe is still using her marriage name “Mrs. Doe”. Madam Ama Benyiwa Doe has to answer allegations as to how she killed her husband and my uncle in Nigeria with poison. The pathologist report on the cause of death which is also backed by a toxicology report from the Ogun State Police Laboratory indicates that traces of a pesticide used in exterminating rats and other vermin was found in his bloodstream.
Sir, I wish to submit the following in order of occurrence
1. Madam Ama Benyiwa Doe used to work at University of Ghana Legon administration as a typist and got married to my uncle who was also a lecturer at the university.
2. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Doe moved to settle in Nigeria in the 1980s. Ironically, I believe Ghanaians were dumbfounded recently when a concerned woman (Madam Agnes from Hohoe) called into one popular radio station in Tema metropolis asking with astonishment why the Minister Ama Benyiwa Doe continues to use the name “Doe” since according the caller “the circumstances surrounding her husband Mr. Doe’s death were still not answered”.
3. In Nigeria, because of Mr. and Mrs. Does tried tirelessly for a child but could not produce one. Mr. Doe, the husband, seemingly lost interest, and Mrs Ama Benyiwa resorted to accusing her husband Mr. Doe of womanizing and cheating on her. The situation became worse when Mr. Doe befriended a Nigerian woman Ms.Adeyemi Tolou in Oshodi, Lagos. Mr Doe’s girl friend had a child for him and as the result Madam Ama Benyiwa Doe could not hold her anger and therefore decided to kill Mr Oscar Doe with a pesticide used in killing rats and other rodents. Mr Oscar Doe, I have learnt was in extreme pain for 3 hours. Neighbours heard loud painful screams and called the landlord who found him lying prostrate of the floor on his back, dead and lifeless.
4. The Nigerian Police suspected foul play in Mr. Doe’s death and opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding it. before they could invite Ama Benyiwa Doe to answer questions she had disappeared.
5. With the help of some unscrupulous government officials in the Nigerian government of the day she adopted this child from her dead husband and the beautiful girl friend.
6. Ama Benyiwa Doe eventually sold my uncle’s assets which included 2 houses and 2 cars, It actually took the effort of the then Ghana High Commissioner to Nigeria and the Ghana Foreign Affairs dept under Former President Jerry Rawlings to help Madam Ama Benyiwa Doe to flee to Ghana under diplomatic immunity. I have found out that she used some of this money to build a house and also gave some of it to a new partner to start a business .
7. Fortunately or unfortunately, the child adopted by Ama Benyiwa Doe is still living with her in Ghana. In fact, up till today, Ama Benyiwa Doe does not have a child of her own and is still hoping to secure a new husband to give her a child in her 60s.
Mr President, I have established contact with the Nigerian authorities including the Police with my concerns and red flags surrounding this sordid affair .They have agreed to re-open the case, re-examine all the facts and evidence of this unsolved murder of Mr Oscar Doe. I believe in your integrity and also the vision that the Ghanaian government must not give the impression that its Ministers and government appointees are murderers and fugitives from justice.
I pray that Madam Benyiwa Doe does not think she’s gotten away with the murder of my uncle without facing the due punishment .
Not long ago in London, I was fortunate to receive a call from a Ghanaian woman Mrs Susanna Arkoh who was a Senior Nurse on duty during the postmortem of the late husband Mr Oscar Doe in Nigeria .She is now retired . Mrs Susanna Arkoh is prepared to come with me to Nigeria to assist the Nigerian Police in its re-opening of investigations and be a prosecution witness in the event of a criminal trial this can only take place if the ministerial immunity is removed from Madam Ama Benyiwa Doe for the Nigerian Government and Interpol to extradite her.
I plead with you Your Excellency to help me get justice.
Justice delayed is Justice denied
Yours in the service of our Nation
Dennis Doe- Vormavor, LLB MA Political Science
Ghanaians Abroad Against Corruption
Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.