"Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it."
- Mahatma Gandhi
We believe leadership is not a position or a title. It’s a sets of behaviours individuals at every level use to influence change. Many leaders with titles are stretched in multiple ways as result of the pandemic. Dealing with covid19 means leaders must preserve lives first and save the organisation. Now more than ever, it's very lonely at the top. How can you support your boss, leader or CEO effectively in a time of crisis?
Your actions and examples matter even though you do not have a title. You never know your leader may be taking inspiration from your leadership example. Every leader will appreciate the extra support that you can offer.
Here are a couple of ideas to start with:
1. SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER This is the time to bring critical insights you are receiving at the frontlines to your leader. You are the first to notice changes in customer attitudes. Observe carefully and share this data with your leaders honestly.
"Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson
2. TAKE INITIATIVE Do not escalate every issue. You must discern which issues to escalate and which ones you need to handle even if it will require more effort from you. Those at the top are dealing with a lot already.
"All problems become smaller if you don't dodge them but confront them." -William F. Halsey
3. EMBRACE CHANGE Be open to take up extra responsibilities even if they alter your original work schedule or create some personal discomfort.
"It’s only after you’ve stepped outside your comfort zone that you begin to change, grow, and transform."- Roy T. Bennett
4. BE GRATEFUL AND CHEER... Your leader on whenever you complete tasks assigned to you well and on time. They are not perfect, they are doing their best and will win together with your support. "A moment of gratitude makes a difference in your attitude.” — Bruce Wilkinson
5. THINK SUSTAINABILITY Use resources available as judiciously and efficiently as possible. Your leader is struggling to keep the organization afloat, reduce waste. "The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.” – Robert Swan
Keep on leading even if you do not have a title. “He who serve the most, reaps the most.”– Jim Rohn