Tribal Politics - a Tool for NDC's Electoral Success?
Even though Ghanaians in general abhor any form of tribalism because of its devastating effects on peace and development, unfortunately, the two social evils - tribal politics and lies have been the electoral weapons for the NDC's electoral successes. The irony however is that, the very people at the receiving end of this tribal hatred, that is, Akans, continue to fall prey to the party's diabolic act. It's my hope that after reading this piece, you would readily join the crusade in kicking the NDC out in 2016.
1. "Our brother Aliu Mahama was Vice President for 8 years. I was Vice President for 3 and half years. For almost 12 years, we have tasted vice presidency. It's no more exciting. It's no longer what we want. If the NPP wants to win here, they should make Bawumia their presidential candidate and let the two of us contest and then they will get something from here" - John Dramani Mahama (at a mini rally in Zualerugu, U/E Region - 10th Nov, 2012).
2. “…there is an Akan proverb which says, no matter how nice the dance of the fowl is, it never impresses the hawk – when the fowl dances for the hawk, the hawk never finds it beautiful…don't let this deter us because for you in Kumasi, even if we construct roads tarred with gold, you will still say we've done nothing.” - President Mahama (May 6, 2014 in Kumasi)
2. “Thank you for your patience and tolerance. Let me take this opportunity to assure all Voltarians that every effort will be made to ensure your safety so far as the NDC remains in power". John Mahama at a Ceremony in Volta Region to initiate €40m Urban Management project, August 6, 2012).
3. "Mr. Samuel Sarpong, may I know from you if other ethnic groups, particularly those from the Northern and Volta extraction are safe and will be safe under your tenure as the Ashanti Regional Minister" - Haruna Iddrisu, MP for Tamale South and Minister of Labour & Emloyment, 13 February, 2012 during a ministerial vetting).
4. "Politics is polarised and ethnically divided and that the Great Ashanti project is terrifying. President Kufuor is an ethnic Ashanti, as are many at the top levels of his government. He would try to hold the country together, but the time comes when the people you lead take over" - John Atta Mills, Wikileaks report in 2011).
5. "Because John Agyekum Kufuor is an Ashanti and does not come from the coastal area, that is why he has built all the best cold stores in Kumasi. He does not care for coastal fisherfolk" - John Atta Mills, September, 2008 in Central Region).
6. "The people of Central Region are you listening? I'm one of your own so remember me when casting your vote. "Adze wo fie a oye" - Prof. J.E.A. Mills on his campaign tour in the Central Region in 2008).
7. "If today I come to you as president, it's because you made it possible. Indeed, this region is my second home" - Prof. Mills (on a three-day visit to the Volta Region in April 2009).
8. "No individual with an Akan name will be allowed to register here. Odododiodio is for Gas so anyone with Akan name could go to his native area to register" - Edwin Nii Lante Vanderpuije (during the March-May 2012 Biometric registration).
9. "Sir John reminds me of a typical 'Kookooase Kuraseni'. I mean he stayed in Kumasi too long, he is in Accra now, and he should broaden his horizon. Whenever he comes from Kumasi he should take a different touch or else he would be lost and now he is telling us he is lost…he should shed that image and look at things from a broader perspective" - Kobby Acheampong, (18/10/10) on his reaction to Sir John's disagreement with Grade B given to Atta Mills on his performance as president).
10. "If any member of the opposition criticises the Mills-led administration, if you can slap him, do so" - Kofi Opoku Manu, former Ashanti Regional Minister (January 6, 2009 at the Prempeh Assembly Hall).
11. "The NPP is a tribal Ashanti Party, not even Akan Party anymore. The Ashantis are just fulfilling the agenda of those who truly founded the party. It's an Ashanti agenda. I'm so surprised that the Northerners, Ewes, and Gas in the party would sit unconcerned and pretend this is not an issue and would come out to defend it" - Benjamin Akyena Brentuo, NDC Communications Team member (on Ekosii s3n programme, Asempa FM; August 11, 2012).
12. "Ashantis are deliberately sabotaging the purpose of the family planning programme. They are producing children with the sole aim of fuelling their population for political purpose" - Jerry John Rawlings, (August 1985, Accra).
13. "The source of Asante wealth is as result of thievery and corruption" - Jerry Rawlings.
14. "Volta Region deserved a change because we have not fared well at all. In the last 8 years, we were made to feel like 2nd class citizens - Togbe Afede, April 18, 2009.
15. “Every shameless act related to politics comes from the Ashanti Region. They have gained more notoriety when it comes to politics. Every ill-fated political demonstration is coming from them and nothing good seems to come from the region. Had it not been for their recognized and well-respected King, they would be insulted all the time” - Solomon Nkansah, Communications Director of NDC - (June 24, 2015).
Katakyie Kwame Opoku Agyemang, Asante Bekwai-Asakyiri
0202471070 // 0547851100 // 0264931361