Ghana Famous People
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth:
- Kyebi, Eastern Regio
Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo is Ghana's Minister for Local Government and Rural Development. He was appointed by President Mills during a cabinet reshuffle in January 2011. Prior to this appointment he had been the Eastern Regional Minister since the start of the Mills NDC government in 2009. He was succeeded by Dr Kwasi Akyem Apea-Kubi. He is a member of the National Democratic Congress.
Ghana Institute of Management & Public Administration (GIMPA)-Post Graduate Certificate in Public Administration (200Haggai Institute, Hawaii Islands, USA-Specialized Studies in Advanced Leadership (1998); Ghana Institute of Management & Public Administration (GIMPA)-Post Graduate Diploma in Public Administration (1998);University of Education, Winneba -Kumasi Campus(Sandwich Programme) 1991 – 1993;Kumasi Polytechnic 1987 (External Exam) University of Science & Technology; School of Mines(Now University of Mines & Technology-UMAT)– Tarkwa (1983 -1985);Akwatia Technical Institute – Akwatia 1979 – 1982; Asamankese, Anum L/A Middle School ( 1976 – 1979)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Post Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Advanced Certificate in Education
- Mechanical Engineering Technician Part III (Plant Engineering) Option.
- Mechanical Engineering Tech. Part I & Part II – City & Guilds
- Intermediate and Advanced Certificate in Metal Machinery and Mechanical Fitting, City & Guilds.
- Certificate in Mediation and Conflict Transformation (Awarded by the UNDP, 2005)
- Certificate in Specialized Studies in Advanced Leadership (Haggai Institute, 2000)
- Certificate in Contract Management in the Road Sector (Awarded by the Ministry of Roads and Highways, 1994)
- Educationist, Mechanical Technician-Engineer and Public Administrator
- Trainee Machinist Ghana Consolidated Diamonds Ltd. (Akwatia) 1982
- Trainee Technician (Attachment), GHAIP Oil Refinery (Tema)1984
- Mechanical Technician Engineer -Civil Aviation Authority (National Service Scheme) Accra/Kumasi Airports(1985-1987);
- Tutor-St. Paul’s Technical Institute (1989/1990-1993)
- Engineering -Technology /Practice, Kukurantumi (1990-1993)
- District Chief Executive (DCE)- Fanteakwa District Assembly (1994-1996)
- Member of Parliament for Fanteakwa Constituency 1996-2004
- Deputy Eastern Regional Minister 1997-2000
- Acting District Chief Executive Manya Krobo District Assembly 1999-2000
- National Organizer, National Democratic Congress (NDC) 2002 –
- Minister of Local Government and Rural Development- Present
- General Secretary, Technician Eng. Students Association (TESA),U.S.T. School of Mines 1984
- Dep. Gen. Sec. JCR – UST School of Mines 1985
- Course Master – General Engineering (GE) – St. Paul’s Tech. Institute
- Chairman, ‘HOST DAY’ Planning Committee of the International Tourism Organization, held in Eastern Region, Koforidua 1998
- Board Member - VRA Resettlement Trust Fund 1996-2001
- Board Member-Value Added Tax (VAT) Board 1998
- Chairman-Regional Committee on 2000 National Population Census 2000
- Member-Haggai Alumini – Haggai Institute, Hawaii Islands (USA)
- Member-Parliamentary House Committee 1997-2001
- Member-Parliamentary Select Committee on Education 1997-2001
- Deputy Ranking Member, Parliamentary Select Committee on Local Government and Rural Development 2001-2004
- Member- Parliamentary Sub-Committee on Poverty Reduction 2002-2004
- Member-Parliamentary Select Committee on Energy 1997-2001
- Member-Parliamentary Select Committee on Government Assurances 2001-2004
IMPORTANT WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS ATTENDED
- “Decentralization and the Promotion of Human Rights and Administrative Justice” 1994(SSNIT – Koforidua)
- Seminar on Contract Management and Administration, 11th-13th October, 1994
- Workshop on Decentralization – 25th -30th September, 1994
- Workshop on Productive uses of Electricity, 2nd-3rd August, 1995 (S.O.S, Asiakwa)
- Workshop for District Political Decision Makers 1995
- GLSS/GDHS Dissemination Seminar for Policy Makers and Planners, 26th June, 1996
- Workshop on Ghana’s Decentralization Process: Problems and Prospects, 26th – 28th October, 2001 Conference on National Security Organized by UNDP/Ministry of Defence and Legon Centre for International Affairs (LECIA) 2nd – 5th October 2005
- Attended a course on Mediation and Conflict Transformation, offered by the UNDP, at Greenland Hotel, Swedru, from 16 – 27 Oct. 2005
OTHER IMPORTANT POSITIONS/ASSIGNMENTS UNDERTAKEN
- Chaired the Regional Technical Coordinating Committee on the Village Infrastructure Programme (VIP)
- Represented the Head of State to inaugurate the Birim South District Assembly in April, 1998
- Participated in the World Bank sponsored Pilot Project on Feeder Roads Decentralization in the Fanteakwa District of the Eastern Region.
- Chairman, Youth-In-Agriculture Programme – Eastern Region.
- Chairman, Regional Disaster Committee – Eastern Region
- Chairman, Business Assistance Fund – Eastern Region.
- Chairman, District Security Committee (DISEC) Fanteakwa District
- Vice Chairman, Regional Security Committee (REGSEC) Eastern Region.
- Launched the York- Fanteakwa Link in Yorkshire – United Kingdom, 6thMarch, 2001(Sister-City Programme)
- Leader of Delegation to Labour Party Conference in Bournemouth – United Kingdom from 23– 27 Sept. 2007
- Member of Delegation to SPD Conference (Hamburg-Germany, 2007)
- Leader of Delegation to Inauguration NDC Canada Chapter in Montreal - 2006
Honored with the title, “Kentucky Colonel” and also presented with the key to the City of Lexington in the State of the Kentucky U.S.A, 1998.