Ing Kwabena Bempong speaking in an interview with a journalist from Citi News
Contractors working on the Accra-Tema Motorway expansion project have rejected claims that work on the road has stalled, insisting that significant progress has already been made despite growing frustrations among motorists who use the stretch daily.
The clarification comes after several drivers and commuters complained about the pace of work, with some alleging that activity on parts of the project had slowed down considerably.
Speaking to Citi News on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, the project’s Chief Resident Engineer, Ing. Kwabena Bempong, assured the public that construction is ongoing and that nearly half of the project has already been completed.
Tema Motorway expansion back on course as government clears all debts – Agbodza
According to him, much of the heavy earth-moving phase has been completed, which may explain why some motorists no longer see the intense level of activity that characterised the early stages of the project.
“Work has not stalled on the project. You might have seen that when we started about a year ago, we were doing a lot of earthworks. And of course, during earthworks, you see a lot of trucks moving unsuitable material, bringing in rock, bringing in filling material. But as of today, May 20, 2026, we have probably done about 95% of the earthworks, and we will be starting the pavement works very soon. We’ve also been working on the concrete works. And again, we have about 20 culverts, box culverts, huge ones, and about three bridges,” he said.
“We have done quite a lot so far, and I believe as you go along the road, you’ll find out that where we started on the urban highway and left the middle portion, which is the expressway, we’ve now joined the two. By the end of April, we had done about 44%. So, give and take, we should be around 46% now,” he added.
Despite the assurance from contractors, many motorists say travelling on the motorway remains stressful due to the poor condition of sections of the road, which they claim is causing damage to their vehicles and increasing transportation costs.
“We want the government to expedite the project. I have had to replace several tyres because of the poor nature of the road,” a driver said.
Another road user appealed for the project's faster completion, citing the inconvenience commuters face on the busy highway.
“The project is taking too long, and it is a major concern for us. We are therefore appealing to the authorities to take action,” a passenger also said.
The Accra-Tema Motorway remains one of the busiest roads in Ghana, serving thousands of commuters and heavy-duty vehicles daily, making delays and deteriorating road conditions a major concern for road users and businesses alike.
NA/BAI
'Hypocrite, you are the biggest threat to our survival as NDC' - Anyidoho slams Pratt