GhanaWeb TV




Two Kwabenya cell escapees jailed 30 months

Video Archive
Wed, 14 Feb 2018 Source:

Two accused persons who escaped from the Kwabenya Police station last month during an attack on the station have been jailed.

The two are to serve thirty months in prison after they pleaded guilty to the crime of escaping lawful custody and abetment to escape lawful custody before an Accra High Court on Tuesday.

The two, Prince Osei and Atta Kwadwo, were among the seven suspects who were assisted to escape police custody during the attack. When they appeared before the court presided over by Justice Aboagye Tandor two weeks ago, the two accepted guilty.

A third escapee who was also arrested, Kofi Darko, had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Meanwhile, the nine suspects accused of attacking the police station, have been also been charged.

The nine, which includes a woman, pleaded not guilty to the charge when they first appeared in court two weeks ago, and were subsequently remanded in police custody.


A gang of suspected armed robbers attacked the Kwabenya District Police Headquarters, which accommodates the Kwabenya Police Station, killing the officer on duty, and freeing cell inmates.

A total of seven inmates were freed, but three of them have since been rearrested.

‘Cop killer busted’

Last Sunday, the Accra Police Command indicated that, it had picked up the man believed to have shot the police officer dead.

The suspect was identified as Kofi Seshie, aged 28.

Seshie was arrested along with four other suspects in the early hours of Saturday at Kasoa, according to a statement from the police.

The statement said these latest arrests bring the number of people detained following the incident to eleven, after six suspects were arrested earlier.

The police had announced a GHc15,000 bounty for any information leading to the arrest of the other four suspects who were freed from police custody by the robbers.

The now deceased Police officer sustained gunshot wounds, and died whilst receiving treatment at the 37 Military Hospital.

He was the breadwinner for a family of seven with the youngest being three years.

‘No mercy’

Government has since condemned the attack on the Kwabenya District Police Headquarters.

Speaking at a press conference, Information Minister, Mustapha Hamid, assured that persons involved in the act will face the law.

“First of all government condemns the criminal conduct of these elements in the strongest possible terms. There is a manhunt for these criminal elements and we have no doubts in our minds that they will be brought to face justice.

“Government takes this opportunity to express its deepest sympathies to the family of the deceased policeman… While this is one of the isolated incidents that have unsettled the Ghanaian population, we wish to continue to assure the Ghanaian people that the security agencies are working to ensure the general safety of the population. The preventive mechanism of the Police Service remains intact which helps to nip such occurrences in the bud before they become full-blown criminal activities.”

Related Articles: