MUSIGA Wants Financial Support From Government
The president of the Musicians Union of Ghana, Alhaji Sidiku Buari, has accused government of not giving adequate support to musicians.
He says music can contribute significantly to the country?s development but the industry has suffered financial support from government.
Alhaji Buari was speaking to Joy News at the launch of the 2007 Ghana Music Awards Festival in Accra.
Alhaji Buari said the lack of appropriate funding opportunities has for a long time undermined the human and institutional development of the music industry.
Although Alhaji Buari lauded government for waiving the tax on importation of musical instruments in its recent Budget Statement, he says there is the need for more financial assistance to promote the industry?s growth.
He asked for government?s support in procuring equipment to monitor the broadcast media to ensure that they log music played on air to ensure fair collection of royalties due to musicians.
Alhaji Buari also urged the organizers of the Ghana Music Awards to improve on the prizes given to winners. He said he would prefer a house or a car to award winners, at least in the most prestigious category.
The annual event which is meant to appreciate musicians whose songs have generated the most public excitement within the period of contention will take place on the 5th of May at the Accra International Conference Center.
There will be 14 awards for grabs with Kwaku Gyasi, Ofori Amponsah, King Ayisoba and Batman Samini in hot contention for the most prestigious awards.
Public votes to select winners will constitute 40 percent while the selection committee and the planning committee split the remaining 60 percent.