Celebrated Ghanaian artist, Professor Emeritus El Anatsui has arrived in Accra, for Thursday evening’s Kuenyehia Prize for Contemporary Ghanaian Art final awards event.
Awarded the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement at the 2015 Venice Biennale for his influence on generations of artists working in West Africa, Prof Anatsui brings huge world-class experience and gravitas to the jury panel.
As the chair of the Prize’s jury panel this year, he is expected to lead an esteemed panel of judges that comprises:
• Nana Oforiatta-Ayim, Writer, Historian, Filmmaker and founder of the ANO Center for Cultural Research, Accra;
• Kofi Agyei, Collector and founder, Bullion Investments;
• Nana Kofi Acquah, Photographer and Blogger and
• Edward Adiamah, Tutor, SOS-Herman Gmeiner International College
Prof El Anatsui, usually a reclusive artist, will also be the special guest of honour for the final awards event scheduled to take place on Thursday evening at a venue in Accra.
The invitation-only event will witness the attendance of the cream of Ghana’s art scene.
It is the second edition of the annual art prize, and one artist will be selected to take over from last year’s ultimate prize winner, Kwame Akoto-Bamfo, who took the GHS 20,000.00 ultimate prize award with his sculpture ‘Lady Pose.’
This year, the shortlist is mainly comprised of painters and illustrators. The lucky ten are:
• Bright Ackwerh (Illustration)
• Deryk Owusu Bempah (Photography)
• Enam Bosokah (Drawing)
• Gorden Kegya (Painting)
• Isshaq Ismail (Painting)
• Maxwell Boadi (Painting)
• Mustapha Mohammed (Painting)
• Peter Schaub-Nzoley (Painting)
• Sefa Nkansa (Photography)
• Setor Fiadzigbey (Illustration)
In addition to the ultimate winner, two runners-up will be chosen to receive GHS 2,500.00 each. The three winning artists will also benefit from training, coaching and mentoring by renowned artists and art professionals.
The Prize is under the distinguished patronage of Nana Kobina Nketsia V, Omanhen of Essikado Traditional Area,