Spio is a great contemporary transformational leader!!
For about a month now, people close to government have decided to make Dr Spio-Garbrah a target of vile attacks because he has written an article perceived to be too critical of government. Interestingly, none of these people have addressed the salient issues raised in that article.
The attacks were sparked by Mr Ato Ahwoi in an open letter to Dr Spio-Garbrah. That letter by Mr Ahwoi was appropriately responded to by the friends of Spio-Garbrah of which I am an active member. Several other members of the NDC and the general public have commented and are still commenting on this development in the NDC. I will not comment further on the letter from Mr Ato Ahwoi except to say power sweet (especially when you’re calling the shot)!
Some few days ago, I decided to read on Colin Powell and discovered several wise quotes from him. One of the notable quotes which I instantly picked was “don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it.” Suddenly, Koku Anyidoho flashed my mind! Why should he run to my mind when I was quietly meditating on that quote? Aha!! I am hearing something!
Did I hear Koku Anyidoho make derogatory comments about Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah? Did he question his academic qualifications, competence, achievements and commitment to the NDC or Prof. Mills’ campaign? I hope I didn’t hear Koku say some of them resigned their jobs to help Professor Mills win the elections! Oh! My God!!
Koku and his cohorts should note the following:
1. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah is a Ghanaian, a member of the NDC and has the right to comment on issues that affect the NDC and Ghanaians at large just like any other Ghanaian. He commented on issues, you insulted his person. He has demonstrated his commitment to tackling issues; you have demonstrated your immaturity and hatred for him.
2. The success of the current NDC government led by the President, His Excellency Professor John Evans Fiifi Atta Mills (so that you won’t say I omitted some of his names out of disrespect) is more important and dear to Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah (and his friends and supporters) than it is to you, Koku Anyidoho and the ‘Spio-haters’ cabal in the castle and in the party.
3. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah is one of the greatest personalities Ghana can boast of and is recognised worldwide for his academic, professional and political achievements. A humble transformational leader, a great communicator and listener; a personality whose achievements cannot be destroyed by your tantrums. Just google his name and read his profile; speak to those who really know him; get closer to him and you can’t help but fall in love with this great leader who has achieved and is still achieving a lot! Your achievements are like faint dots on an A3 sheet on which Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah’s achievements (so far) could not find enough space.
4. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah was awarded an LLD (Honoris Causa) by Middlebury University, USA, in recognition for his achievements in Government, Business, Diplomacy and Communications. He did not buy it! From my research, those awarded honorary doctorate degrees by recognised institutions can use the title Dr. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree ). In any case why do we bother about titles? In developed countries (and accounting practice) people are encouraged to consider substance instead of form and that is the only way they make progress. In substance, a doctorate title cannot change the personality of Spio-Garbrah. You can choose to call him Ekwow Spio-Garbrah (that is his name) if it pleases you. He is not bothered. Don’t try to destroy his hard won reputation. Like my pastor Dr Otabil will say, ‘you don’t need anyone (title) to validate your identity.’
5. Just as you think you love Professor Mills than his creator, there are people like me who love Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah just as much. We love him because he has shown that he is a modern-day transformational and strategic thinker and a leader who understands the issues that pertain to the growth and development of Ghana in a fast changing world. He never closes the door to anybody and is ready to listen to everyone including those he knows hate his guts.A very nice gentleman who has distinguished himself in all his endeavours. He is an inspiration to many of us not just from Ghana but across the world!! An asset you can never destroy because some of us won’t allow you to. Keep off!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah is a success story! You said he has failed as Chairman of the Social Sector Committee. How did you assess the performance of Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah on the transitional committee? Which performance indicators were used? Who was in-charge of that process? Can we have the report on the performance of all the members of the various transitional committees? If no report exists, then you please shut up!!
7. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah and many members and supporters of the NDC have being working so that they can earn income to support the party (and Professor Mills’ caimpaign team). Where do you think people get money from to support the party and the campaign? Do you think they pluck money from trees? I hope you have not being receiving money from drug barons! Or are you implying that you got money from jobless but wealthy people for the campaign? The NDC party (not just Prof. Mills’ campaign team) would not have won the 2008 election without the support (i.e. monetary) and vote of harworking Ghanaians who must not be insulted.
8. Mrs Hillary Rodham Clinton did not question the health of then Senator Obama, now President Obama because Obama was not sick. But she questioned the experience and competence of Obama!! Just google it and you shall find several platforms on which Mr and Mrs Clinton questioned the competence and experience of Obama. I believe it is much easier to buy health than experience and competence. However, Obama responded to the attacks, won the primaries, praised Mrs Clinton for her nobility; and they worked together to win the Presidency. He appointed Mrs Clinton (who questioned his competence and experience) to the position of Secretary of State (the 4th in succession to the US Presidency). I dare to say that nothing would have changed if she had questioned his health!! That is a mark of a great leader who looks at the bigger picture and who will not allow greedy self-seeking politicians to derail his agenda and that of the nation. Although President Obama and President Mills have somethings in common, I don’t think they do in this regard (considering the comments from his advisers and his posture).
9. I like President Mills but if he holds anything against Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah because of that text message (maliciously leaked by the Ahwois) then forgive me to say, we have an unforgiving, hypocritical and vindictive President. I strongly believe President Mills, the asomdwehene will not be such a person. 10. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah has a constituency! Yes!! He has strong nation-wide and diaspora support. He has a huge following and I can bet my last British Pound that he (and his supporters) was very relevant to the success of the NDC in the 2008 elections. In the face of all these provocative comments and insults from the seat of government, he and his supporters have remained calm and are still committed to supporting President Mills to succeed and that is it for now!! We are not going about talking about Spio because we do not want the division you are creating.
11. What is wrong in a Spio supporter becoming an executive of a branch? We already have many in positions working for the party. Is it a crime to support Spio? Did we not support, persuade our friends to support, and vote for Professor Mills? Don’t we go about defending this government and the party? Don’t we have the right to contest for any position in the party? Are we now considered outcasts because you have achieved what you wanted, power? Don’t forget, power is momentary (no matter how long it seems) and no one has monopoly over it!! Ask Asamoah Boateng and the likes.
12. Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah and his supporters are not leaving the party! We shall build it, contest positions we deem fit and win. We continue to focus on the bigger picture and will not be drawn into fruitless debates.
13. The NDC UK/Ireland branch is not made up of unintelligent people. Everyone in this branch is matured enough to make good decision and will make such no matter how long you postpone the elections. And if the branch thinks a Spio supporter can do a good job, he/she will be voted for. You cannot impose anyone on us!!!
14. Go and read the profiles of those around Obama and you will understand why he is moving on. Check yourself!!!!!!!!!!!
15. I will, on this occasion, forgive you, Koku Anyidoho because I understand you had a defunct upbringing. That not withstanding, I hope you learn from your unintelligent actions and utterances and be wise; it does not take much. If possible, seek the ears of the President and tell him you need training in communication. And next time, please, think thrice (you need it) before you talk.
16. Take sometime to read quotes from Colin Powell since you interrupted my meditation. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I hope the Presidency and the party will call all these charlatans to order before they cause havoc!!
Senyo Ameevor (London) email@example.com +447878261316