Health News Tue, 29 Mar 2016

Health CSOs disappointed in political parties

Civil Society Organisations (CSO) working in the health sector have expressed disappointment in political parties for snubbing them.

Six political parties confirmed their participation in a CSOs Health Summit organised last week but failed to turn up without explanation.

The CSOs Health Summit was organised by the Universal Access to Healthcare Campaign (UAHCC).

The political parties invited were the National Democratic Congress (NDC), New Patriotic Party (NPP), Progressive People's Party (PPP), Convention People’s Party (CPP), People’s National Convention (PNC) and National Democratic Party (NDP).

The NDP informed the campaign of their inability to attend.

Speaking to The Finder on the unfortunate incident, the National Campaign Co-ordinator of the Universal Access to Healthcare Campaign (UAHCC), Mr Archibald Adams, said the purpose of the meeting was to share the latest information in the health sector and give the political parties an opportunity to tell Ghanaians what they would be doing to address the challenges if they are elected into power in the November general elections.

Addressing campaign members, representatives from the Ministry of Health and the National Health Insurance Authority, Mr Adams noted that the NHIS is Ghana’s vehicle to attaining Universal Health Coverage.

He said all efforts must be made by stakeholders to ensure that the scheme becomes financially sustainable, as well as win the confidence of all Ghanaians.

He said the current national coverage rate of 39% still leaves 61% of the population practicing “cash and carry.”

“The campaign is urging all political parties to allocate more resources to the NHIS in their manifesto and work towards achieving UHC,” he said.

A Policy Analyst at ISODEC, Leonard Shanq-Quartey noted that there are a lot of inequalities in the health sector and efforts must be made to address them.

He noted that efforts must be made at ensuring that each community has at least a well-resourced CHPS compound.

He urged political parties to ensure that each national budget dedicates at least 15% of the total to the health sector as stated in the Abuja Declaration and introduce innovative ways of funding the NHIS.

Source: thefinderonline.com