Click to read all about coronavirus →
Member of Parliament for Ningo-Prampram, who suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of one of his own protégés, Samuel George Nartey, in the just ended National Democratic Congress (NDC) parliamentary primaries in his constituency, has threatened to go to court to challenge the results.
According to him, the election was not “Free and Fair” and claimed that there was a massive rigging to favour his opponent, Sam George, who is a presidential staffer.
The man, who was seeking his sixth term bid in the law-making chamber, therefore, called on the Director of Elections of the NDC, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo to as a matter of urgency investigate the unfortunate situation, before he takes legal action against the party.
“The election wasn’t free and fair. The party must investigate the election before it’s too late. I will petition the party’s national executives,” he said in an interview with NEAT FM’s morning show host, Kwasi Aboagye.
But, in a quick U-turn, hours later, the five term MP told Joy News that he has accepted the results of last Sunday’s parliamentary primaries at Ningo-Prampram, even though the process was rigged.
Prior to the election on Saturday, Sam George claimed he had been beaten by men believed to be supporters of E.T. Mensah and also alleged that the voters’ register was tampered with, which caused the polls to be postponed to the following day, Sunday.
The voting, which was characterized by violence, accusations and counter accusations, ended with Sam George polling 4,910 votes, representing 53.4% of the total votes cast, while E.T. Mensah managed 2,861.
E.T. Mensah, aka ‘Ningo Methuselah’, whose defeat came as a rude shock to many political followers in the country, said at one of the electoral areas, the number of registered voters was 809, but the presidential staffer bagged 1,245 votes.
Mr. Mensah alleged that land-guards, hired by Sam George, besieged certain polling stations and chased his agents away, with threats of death, adding that his challenger also bussed voters from other areas to come and vote for him.
“The land-guards that came chased our polling agents away. The land-guards said; ‘your life or you leave here’. They (voters) were bussed on Sunday from Ashaiman, three Metro Mass buses.
“We had a hint that he intentionally created the kind of confusion that he created on Saturday so that the voting process would not come on because the people that he needed to come and vote, were also voting on that same day.
“People say I should contest the results. What for? I can make a formal complaint to the regional party, because if we should go back and take all the documents, voters register, votes cast in the ballot box and cross check, you find out that it’s been flawed,” he said.
Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.