Politics of Thu, 15 Feb 201813
No suspended officer can contest for NPP position – Dr. Amoako Tuffour
A founding member of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and Senior adviser to the President of the Republic of Ghana, Dr. Amoako Tuffour says suspended officials of the party cannot contest for positions in the party.
“No suspended official of the party can vie for any position, just as the Acting General Secretary said earlier”, Mr. Tuffour told Nhyira Fm in Kumasi on Wednesday.
Mr. Tuffour’s statement was in response to plans by some suspended officials of the party including Mr. Sammy Crabbe to contest for positions in the party.
He stated emphatically that Mr. Crabbe and others cannot stand for any position in the party as far as they have not been cleared by the National Council.
“Mr. Crabbe is not reinstated and the acting General Secretary’s statement holds”, he clarified.
Mr. Crabbe in an earlier interview had hinted he is ready to contest for the position of National Chairman.
Reacting to Dr. Amoako Tuffour’s comments, Mr Crabbe said they were unfortunate because the National Council which claims to possess the power to reinstate suspended officials is an inferior body to the Delegates Conference of the party according to its constitution.
“I disagree with my father Dr. Amoako Tuffour, he stated that National Council is the decision-making body but am sorry, it is the constitution which decides on all of us,” Mr. Crabbe said.
He also alleged that some members of the party are saying what they want because nobody has challenged them.
According to him, his intention to contest was triggered after some faithful supporters of the party confronted.
Commenting on his suspension, Mr. Crabbes indicated that he did nothing wrong as he was only trying to put things in order because he felt the leadership of the party did not treat Mr. Kwabena Agyapong well with his suspension from his position.
The NPP suspended its 2nd Vice Chairman, Sammy Crabbe, alongside Mr. Agyapong in 2015, after they were accused of publicly rebelling against the party’s decision to indefinitely suspend its National Chairman, Paul Afoko.
- June deadline holds in Afoko’s trial - Presiding judge
- Obiri Boahen spoke the truth; few people are enjoying while grassroot suffer - Crabbe
- NPP 'cabal' axed Agyapong, Afoko for controlling vigilante groups - Sammy Crabbe
- Afoko ‘exposes’ Majority Leader on allegations he frustrated Nana Addo
- Afoko et al disliked and frustrated Akufo-Addo - Majority Leader
- Suspended Sammy Crabbe joins NPP chairmanship race
- Reinstating Afoko, Agyapong no big deal – Ken Agyapong
- Freddie Blay enjoying more than long serving NPP members - Lawyer
- Has Kwabena Agyepong exhibited enough political maturity, remorsefulness needed for his reinstatement?
- Kwabena Agyepong ‘divides’ Northern NPP
- Agyepong, Afoko, others can’t be reinstated now - FF Anto replies NPP group
- Afoko, Kwabena Agyapong, Tarzan, others to be banned 10 years?
- Disregard fake press release urging my followers to support NPP – Afoko
- Suspended Afoko is out for good – Omane Boamah
- Afoko’s aide, NPP executives clash over party unity
- NPP group fights for pardon for Afoko & others
- Bernard Mornah backs Afoko’s court appeal decision
- My appeal is to protect party’s constitution - Afoko
- My appeal is to protect party’s constitution - Paul Afoko
- Afoko files appeal against court ruling
- Afoko should defect to NDC - Amaliba
- Judge played role of a 3rd Defendant in Afoko's judgment - Lawyer
- Reconciling with Afoko will be in NPP's interest - Bossman Asare
- I doubt Afoko will be pardoned - Prof. Mike Oquaye
- Afoko lacks the stature to harm NPP - Esseku
- Afoko-NPP unity advocates are 'hypocrites' - Spokesperson
- Afoko must apologize to NPP - Bugri Naabu
- Afoko’s intent to appeal ruling ‘worrying’ – NPP lawyer
- NPP should re-instate Afoko - Bossman Asare
- NPP wants Afoko back - Bugri Naabu
- Afoko not fighting against NPP victory - Spokesperson
- Come let’s win together – NPP Lawyer to Afoko
- Court to give final ruling on Paul Afoko suspension case today
- Court throws out Paul Afoko, says he has no case
- Afoko disagrees with court ruling
- Afoko to appeal High Court judgement; urges all to be calm
- Afoko suspension: We've been vindicated - NPP
- Afoko must 'bury the hatchet' and support Nana - Lawyer Odame
- Ruling on Afoko not an opportunity to jubilate – NPP
- Afoko must confess before re-admission into NPP - Mike Ocquaye
- Pressure mounts on High Court judge to rule against Afoko, sources say
- Afoko fears for his life
- Armed police don’t escort me to court – Afoko
- Afoko wanted to settle with petitioners - Asante-Antwi
- NPP disciplinary Committee chair testifies against Afoko
- I had agreement with Agyepong to serve as my witness – Afoko
- Afoko suit: Is Kwabena Agyepong under threat? – Yalley queries
- We have no more witnesses – Afoko tells Court
- Afoko was bound to face problems as Chairman – Minority Leader