Accra, May 15, GNA - Mr Albert Arhin, Director of Elections, on Monday said the just ended review of the voters' register and registration exercise was highly appreciable as many people considered to have genuinely turned 18 and 19 years turned out to register. He described the exercise, 'limited registration' as it was only conducted yearly. It, however, saw high turn out because it was not done in the previous year and therefore those who turned 18 last year joined those who had turned 18.
"Although there has been reports of shortage of electoral materials in certain places, that not withstanding, the whole exercise was trouble free", he added.
In an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Accra, Mr Arhin said the figures were yet to be computed and that if the results went beyond one million it would raise eye brows and might be the result of double registration.
For instance if areas with targeted figures as Ashanti Region 140,000, Central 40,671, Accra 199,000, Volta 40, 931, Western 70, 531 and the Northern region 55,000" went beyond the estimation, questions could be asked.
Mr Arhin noted that the exercise took into consideration the growth rate premised on the population census, made contingency allocation of 25 per cent and five per cent of unregistered voters. He believed the awareness campaign initiated by the Commission went down well with the populace resulting in the high turn out.