Achimota: Fire destroys over 50 structures at Abofu slum

Abofu Fire 123 Properties amounting to several hundreds of cedis were lost in the fire

Thu, 3 May 2018 Source: atinkaonline.com

Over 50 wooden structures and 'containers' were destroyed Thursday afternoon at Abofu, a slum within Achimota in Accra.

The timely intervention by the Ghana National Fire Service prevented the fire from spreading.

Eyewitnesses told Atinka FM news reporter, Barimah Saakwa that, the fire was caused by a gas cooker in one of the wooden structures.

According to reports, the gentlemen whose alleged negligence sparked the inferno, immediately absconded to avoid being lynched.

Scores of residents who lost almost all their properties were weeping uncontrollably when our news team got to the scene.

Abofu is a popular slum in Achimota; it serves as home for hundreds of street hawkers and other people who do menial jobs in the capital.

Source: atinkaonline.com
Related Articles: