Eligibility of 49 persons In West Akyem Challenged
A group of people who challenged the eligibility of some people in the West Akyem district of the Eastern Region for taking part in the recent voters? registration exercise have filed a writ at the Koforidua high court against 49 of such persons.
The 49 had earlier on been exonerated by a committee set up by the Electoral Commission (EC) which sat on the matter. In all, 502 persons had their eligibility challenged in that district and the committee which still sitting, is investigating each case on its merit to either disqualify or exonerate those involved.
According to those who questioned their eligibility, they were not satisfied with the decision of the committee on the 49 people and had therefore filed the petition against it at the high court which will hear on Wednesday, July 28. Mr. Eric Mensah-Bonsu, deputy eastern regional director of the EC, said the basis of the challenges bordered mainly on nationality and age.
He said in some instances, the committee found out that the people who reported to register were minors and therefore disqualified them while others whose nationality and ages were properly established were exonerated. He said the action of the challengers was legal, adding that they were able to work within the 21days that they had, under the electoral law to appeal against the decision.