Regional News of Thu, 6 Dec 20186
KMA to demolish 400 houses in waterways
The Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) is to demolish a total of 400 houses sited in waterways in the Metropolis.
The intended exercise, which would require GHc1.99 million, following a valuation for its implementation, aims at averting flooding in the metropolis.
The mayor of Kumasi, Osei Assibey Antwi, who gave hints of the said exercise, while addressing a Town Hall meeting of the KMA, organised by the Information Services Department in Kumasi, last Friday that the KMA is to confer with the Kumasi Traditional Council and deliberate on the proposed exercise.
Osei Assibey Antwi further disclosed that the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) completed 137 projects, representing 77% of the planned 178 in the Annual Action Plan for the year 2018, leaving a backlog of 41 projects, representing 23%, which were not implemented due to inadequate funds.
He mentioned the construction of 25 footbridges over selected streams in the Kumasi metropolis, renovation and paving of the Metro Fire Station, fencing of a court building, supply and installation of Streetlights in Kumasi, construction of 10 mechanised bore holes with overhead tanks and the completion and furnishing of new maternal and Child Health Hospital Ward, as some of the key projects undertaken in 2018.
Others, the mayor said, are the supply of educational furniture for 15 newly constructed basic schools, which comprised 23,000 dual desks, 1,200 set of students tables and chairs, 130 sets of teachers’ table and chairs and 100 cupboards.
The KMA boss announced that next year the Assembly plans to undertake the construction of Phase II of the Kejetia/Central Market Project, Refurbishment of the Kumasi City Cancer Centre, Construction of drains within the Metropolis, Street Naming and Property Addressing System and the construction of a Convention Centre.
The KMA also intends to refurbish the Museum at the Centre for National Culture under a Public-Private Partnership and undertake the construction of a befitting office complex block for KMA and urged all stakeholders to support and cooperate with the KMA for the successful implementation of the announced plans.
The mayor said, the Validation Exercise to ensure a smooth, free and fair allocation of shops at the new Kejetia market, supervised by the Amoamanhene, Nana Agyenim Boateng, is currently underway.
He said the core duty of the 11-member Validation Committee is to verify and validate all registered traders who formerly plied their trade in Kejetia to establish real occupancy and ensure that the shops go to those who legitimately deserve them.
The KMA boss also announced that the Assembly is in talks with various investors for the implementation of a Waste–to-Energy Recycling Plant Project to address the disposal of the ever increasing tonnes of solid waste being generated in the city.
He said: “The KMA intends to undertake the construction of a multi-storey car park in Adum to ease the congestion in the Central Business District” and that, the Assembly is still negotiating with various investors who have shown some interest in providing public transport infrastructure/facilities, especially for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), for which the pilot phase using three buses has commenced on the Kumasi-Ejisu route.
According to the KMA boss, 60 buses have been allocated by Government to KMA for this project, with the intention of providing safe transport system to overcome the delays in traffic.
Mr Assibey Antwi encouraged residents to embrace the vision of the “Keep Kumasi Clean and Green” project, which has the ultimate aim of improving sanitation through attitudinal change and planting of more trees and greens to restore flora and fauna to improve the environment, noting that the effects of poor sanitation has been an albatross on our necks.
He stressed the need for self-discipline and responsible behaviour on the part of majority of city residents to avoid indiscriminate littering.
The mayor also announced at the forum that Princess Diana Mired (Princess of Jordan), the President of Union for International Cancer Control will pay her first working visit to Kumasi in February 2019, which would coincide with the World Cancer Day.
Her visit is in connection with the Kumasi City Cancer Project, following the selection of the City of Kumasi as the fourth city in the world and the first in Africa by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) for the city Cancer Project.
The aim of the project is to reduce cancer mortality by the year 2025 in Kumasi and its catchment areas.
Baffour Owusu Amankwatia VI, the Bantamahene, presided over the forum, which was attended by Assembly members, market women and students.