Click to read all about coronavirus →
Ernest Wiafe, assistant headmaster (academics) of the Kumasi Academy, has said it is too early to blame the death of four students of the school on food poisoning.
Doctors, he said, are carrying out autopsies to ascertain the real cause of the deaths.
The number of students from the Kumasi Academy SHS who have lost their lives over suspected food poisoning has risen to four.
The latest casualty is a first year science student of the school whose parents have informed authorities of the school of his death.
The Public Relations Officer of the Ashanti Regional Education Directorate, Cassandra Antwi, confirmed to Class FM in an interview on Monday, April 3.
“We have a total of four,” she said, adding: “This student, we are told he went home without exeat. He had told his friends that he was going for school fees but after authorities checked it turned out that he was not owing any fees.”
Speaking in an interview with Adehye? FM’s Owuahene Addai Mununkum on Tuesday April 4, Mr Wiafe said: “So far, calm has been restored in the school and the anxiety among the students has gone down.
“All the four students who have died are their friends and so we need to exercise patience with the doctors as they find out the real cause of their deaths. It will be too early in the day to conclude that it was food poisoning, especially as we are not medical practitioners. And so let us be patient.”
Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.