NABCO screen hundreds of Cape Coast residents
The Cape Coast Metro Office of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) on Saturday organized a free medical health screening for members and hundreds of residents in and around the Metropolis.
The exercise commenced with early dawn health walk from the Adisadel School park, through the principal streets and ended at Chapel Square with some aerobics after which they were screened by a team of medical personnel from the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital (CCTH) led by Mr Henry Ofori, Senior Nursing Officer.
The beneficiaries were screened for various diseases such as malaria, hypertension, diabetes and high blood pressure, eye disorders and HIV.
People with serious conditions were referred to hospital for further medical attention while minor illnesses were treated and given free medication.
Briefing the GNA, Mr Ofori, said malaria was common among the people and therefore advised the public to maintain tidy environment to prevent the breeding of mosquitos in their communities.
They should also exercise regularly and undertake regular medical check-ups for improved health to enable them go about their normal duties without any health issues, he said.
"You must desist from unhealthy practices such as improper disposal of waste materials, eat healthy foods and exercise regularly to keep healthy. An unclean environment contributed significantly to the spread of some avoidable diseases, including cholera and typhoid", he said.
Diabetes and high blood pressure, according to him were silent killers, however, they could be controlled through early detection and education and charged them to be mindful of their diet.
Mr Emmanuel Ebo Sabbah, Metro Coordinator for NABCO, said the exercise was necessitated by the need for personnel to maintain healthy bodies in order to contribute effectively to national development.
Mr. Ebo Appiah, Central Regional Coordinator for NABCO who took part in the exercise, praised the government for its unwavering commitment to a smooth implementation of the novel programme to address unemployment challenges and improve productivity.
He disclosed that the goal of the Akufo-Addo led Government policy was gradually being met as some beneficiaries had already moved on from the temporary provision to a permanent one.
"More than 5000 of the first batch of beneficiaries have been roped into the public sector after exiting from the programme"' he said.
In the Cape Coast Metropolis, however, 1,520 of the 1,800 qualified applicants have been successfully placed and gave strong indication to reassign the rest to various institutions.
He refuted claims that Government was indebted to engaged personnel for several months, saying " we remain committed to paying you your allowances to give you the urge to work had" and charged the personnel to be regular and punctual to work to enable them to attain the needed skills and experience.
This he said would help them to justify their competency for employment in the future.