Nobody is trapped under collapsed Obuasi building - Police
The District Police Commander of Obuasi, DSP Matthew Asante, has told Joy News that no casualties have been recorded in the Obuasi building collapse.
He said per eyewitness account, there was no one in the building at the time it collapsed since all workers had closed and left.
The building collapsed Thursday evening and residents feared some persons may have been trapped.
But DSP Asante said the police, together with a team of rescuers from Anglogold Ashanti, went to the scene and worked till 10 pm on Thursday, but they did not find any persons trapped under the rubble.
He said the team will continue with the rescue operations Friday, in hopes of finding any trapped persons.
He added that preliminary investigations indicate the construction of the two-storey building started late last year.
He regretted that no one is willing to provide the police with about the identity of the contractor.