Click to read all about coronavirus →
One person was killed on Thursday following renewed clashes between some Abudus and Andanis at Yendi in the Northern Region.
Three other persons also sustained gunshot wounds.
The injured victims are said to be receiving treatment at the emergency ward at the Yendi Government Hospital.
Though the situation is under control, the police have requested for re-enforcement so they can continue with the one week funeral of the late Ya-Naa.
The renewed violence comes as the Dagbon township winds down the hard-won funeral rites of the late Ya-Naa Abdulai Yakubu Andani II.
Joy News Northern Region Correspondent, Hashmin Mohammed, reports that police in Yendi fired gunshots to disperse youth pelting stones at chiefs arriving for the funeral of the Yaa- Naa Yakubu Andani slated for Friday.
Reports indicate that despite this intervention by the police, another group of young men moved in to stop the youths pelting the stones, resulting in the clashes.
The clash is said to have happened around 5:30 pm on Thursday when the Chief of Sagnarigu with his entourage of about 20 fleets of bus and truck arrived at Yendi. While driving towards the Gbewaa Palace, some youths hurled stones at them smashing windscreens of vehicles.
This left several vehicles entering Yendi or leaving Yendi township with cracked windscreens. This happened at Zohe, a suburb at the outskirts of Yendi in Tamale – Yendi Road.
The windscreen of a Police Navara Pick Up No. GP 3840 was also smashed with a stone.
Meanwhile, the Planning committee for the funeral had earlier petitioned the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, demanding that the Boli? Lana, Abdulai Mahamadu, vacates the Mba Dugu Palace as his continues stay presents a major obstacle to the performance of the funeral rites.
That stance seemed to have softened as the funeral on Friday will go ahead as planned.
Tensions between the two factions have persisted since 2002 after the murder of the late Ya-Na Yakubu Andani and some of his elders triggered bitter clashes.
The clashes were triggered in part by a disagreement over who was the rightful heir to the throne.
The then NPP government under ex-president John Kufuor constituted the Wuako Commission to investigate the circumstances that led to the clashes and the casualties.
The Commission after its sitting recommended the prosecution of some two personsYidana Sugri and Iddrisu Gyamfo, who were seen on 27th March, 2002 holding severed parts of the late Ya-Na, Yakubu Andani II, soon after his killing.
The Commission also recommended that government must take steps to find a lasting peace between the people of Dagbon.
The two suspects were sent to court but were acquitted and discharged for lack of evidence.
In line with the recommendation by the Wuako Commission the then president John Kufuor also instituted the Committee of Eminent chiefs to mediate between the two feuding factions and to provide a roadmap for peace.
The major point of disagreement has been who and when to organize the funerals of the late Ya-Nas belonging to both factions.
Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.