0
Regional News Fri, 23 May 2003

Some 42 boreholes being drilled in Wa District

Forty-two boreholes are to be drilled in the Wa District by a Chinese company at a cost of two billion cedis under Phase Two of the Community Water and Sanitation Project (CWSP).

The International Development Agency (IDA) of the World Bank is financing 90 percent of the project while the Wa District Assembly funds the remaining 10 per cent.

Mr Godfred Bayong Tangu, the District Chief Executive (DCE), said this at the second ordinary meeting of the Assembly on Wednesday.

He said the company had already drilled 21 boreholes between March 21 and April 24, this year. Last year 42 boreholes were successfully drilled in 41 communities in the District.

Mr Tangu said a clinic would be built at Dornye while Ga, Govipie, and Adabiyat Islamic Primary schools would each get a three-unit classroom block, office store and urinal through funds from HIPC.

ADVERTISEMENT

The DCE expressed concern about the reckless burning of refuse containers in Wa and warned that assembly members would in future be held liable for any further destruction of the facilities.

He said one container costs 22 million cedis while an old one cost 13 million cedis to have it rehabilitated

Mr Sahanun Mogtari, Upper West Regional Minister, called on district assemblies to strive to achieve a more equitable allocation of resources among the people.

He said this could be achieved if they drew up programmes to promote productive activities so that they could collect enough revenue.

Source: gna
ADVERTISEMENT