Techiman Assembly to spend a billion on waste mangement
Kenten (B/A), March 24, GNA - Waste management is a major problem of the Techiman Municipal Assembly, Mr Isaac Osei-Antwi, the acting Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), has said.
He said the Assembly would need about one billion cedis to evacuate refuse at disposal sites in the municipality and called for support to control waste.
The MCE made this known to newsmen when he took them round some of the refuse sites at Fante New Town and Kenten in the municipality.
Mr. Osei-Antwi said over 100 million cedis would be spent on the evacuation of refuse at the Kenten and Fanti New Town disposal sites, which had already begun.
He expressed regrets about the indiscriminate disposal of refuse in gutters and appealed tipper truck owners to assist the Assembly to evacuate the refuse heaps in the area.
The MCE said the Assembly was constructing 12 refuse sites at a cost of 30 million cedis while 10 containers destroyed by fire were being rehabilitated at the cost of over 40 million cedis.
Mr Osei Asibey, Manager of the Asibey Welding and Fabrication told the newsmen that the rehabilitation of the containers would be completed on schedule.
Madam Addisa Osman, Kenten Unit Committee member commended the Assembly for evacuating the refuse dump, which had posed an environmental threat to the community.