1
Regional News Fri, 3 Mar 2006

Teshie schools observe Independence Parade

Accra, March 3, GNA- Dr Gladys Norley Ashitey, Deputy Minister of Health, on Friday called on the people of Teshie and its environs to take advantage of the Capitation Grant that allowed free education to send their children to school.

She said it was sad that after 49 years of independence, some parents in Ghana still refused to send their children to school because they had failed to realise the importance of education. Dr Ashitey, who is also the MP of the area, made the call at a short parade of some selected public and private schools in the area organised as part of activities to mark Ghana's 49th Independence Anniversary.

The Deputy Minister said the Government in its effort to ensure that every citizen had at least basic education had introduced series of interventions such as the School Free Feeding Programme to ensure the proper development of students.

She assured the people of the area of her commitment towards ensuring enhanced enrolment in schools and mentioned that a portion of her MP's share of the District Assemblies' Common Fund was used to give scholarships to needy but brilliant students who passed the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE), last year to enable them to further their education.

ADVERTISEMENT

She urged the people to also register with the National Health Insurance Scheme to help to eliminate the problems associated with the cash and carry system.

Dr Ashitey warned the pupils against pre-marital sex, as its implications were enormous and urged parents to instil discipline in their children to shape their lives for the future. Assistant Divisional Officer (ADO), Mr Samuel Golightly Wallace, of the Nungua Fire Station, who gave some tips on fire safety management practice, cautioned children to desist from playing with matches and lighters as they could burn their homes.

He also urged parents and guardians to ensure that all faulty electrical gadgets were kept out of the reach of children or repaired promptly to prevent accidental fire outbreaks.

Source: GNA
ADVERTISEMENT