Allied Health Professions Council not obligated to get you jobs - Administrator to CODAHP

Video Archive
Wed, 5 Jul 2017 Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Administrator for the Allied Health Professions Council, Mr Adjei Frimpong says the Council is not obligated to send the names of graduates of public universities to the ministry of health for employment.

He said, “if you are from a public university, your mode of employment doesn’t follow same as Ministry of Health training institutions”. He stated that the ministry employs those from its training institutions because they have been bonded by the ministry.

The Coalition of Degree Allied Health Professionals petitioned the council to entreat them submit their names to the Health Ministry. They claim their enquiries at the ministry revealed that the Council is "responsible for updating the Health Ministry on qualified and licenced professionals who are ready to be employed or absorbed by the ministry".

According to the spokesperson for the coalition, Richard Osei Yeboah, the Council’s registrar told them in an earlier meeting that the ministry would have to first request for the list from them before they can send it to them.

Other health professionals, according to Richard have had their various Council’s present their list to the ministry and so they hope their regulatory body can do same to assist them even though “they say their mandate is not to look for jobs” for them.

But the administrator of the regulatory body says the ministry asks for specific lists and so the council can’t add something the ministry has not asked for but directly respond to their instructions.

He said, “No one here is sleeping on his duties, no one here intends to frustrate any of you here. If there is the need for us to help in getting you all employed the ministry will call us and we will also state whatever we intend to do to get you employed”.

Mr Frimpong said the Health Professions Regulatory Bodies Act 2013 does not state that the Council must submit names of first-degree holders and until the Ministry directs them to do that they can’t do anything about it.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com