Armed securitymen withdrawn from Juaso-Ashanti
Juaso (Ashanti), 7 Jan. '99 -
Military personnel sent to Juaso-Ashanti in the waking of rioting earlier last week have been withdrawn and number of armed Police personnel patrolling the town reduced because peace has returned to the town. Security re-inforcement was sent to the town following a clash between the Police and supporters of Nana Owusu Achiaw Prempeh the Second, Ex-Juasohene last Sunday which led to the death of one person and 12 injured. Speaking to the GRi at Juaso-Ashanti, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Mr Yaw Adu-Gyimah, Ashanti Regional Police Commander said with the situation now under control and peace and order returning to the town, armed security personnel in the town were being demobilised. Mr Adu-Gyimah said eleven more people, mostly women and a sub-chief from have been arrested in addition to 60 others, who are undergoing screening for possible prosecution. GRi was informed that the Asante-Akim South District Security Committee is making efforts to get an alternative office accommodation for the Police. The Juaso Police station and barracks wereo set ablaze, properties worth several millions of cedis destroyed and three suspects in Police cells escaped. Nana Prempeh has been arrested and is in Police custody in Accra.